1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1983-1984 v6 2.8l chevy s10 2 wd problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 PM
mxpxpunkrock1987 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

i just got this truck not really good with some older cars but when i'm in park truck idles fine when in gear starts to putt when i go and give gas putts simultaneously new plugs wires cap and button ? knock sensor or maybe a vacuum on the carb is wrong ? need some help if i had a cam i could explain it more but i also notice after driving oil pressure is low and not reading correctly i just did a oil change and did a coolant flush so no leaks are present so all i ask is for some help and god to keep me safe cause of the ice storm were having and i have babied this truck since i got it
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __-
well adjust and brought the prongs in on the inside of the disty cap and now its not puttering or back firing and has alot of power but gona change the oil this week and do another flush since i know theres still gunk in the engine

Last edited by rriddle3; 01-19-2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 01-19-2011, 03:16 PM

well drove it again still back firing ita spitting from the carb any suggestions also on need of a carb diagram

Last edited by mxpxpunkrock1987; 01-19-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mxpxpunkrock1987
well drove it again still back firing ita spitting from the carb any suggestions also on need of a carb diagram
I would check the gap on the spark plugs. I had about the same problem and it was bad gap( too tight). When I punched the gas pedal it was great, except for gas milage but at normal driving it was horrible. Try www.autozone.com - Sign up for their garage and then in the search type in vacuum diagrams and there will be links there for you.

Otherwise make sure that everything on the intake is clean.

I went thru the same problem as you with the pop in the air cleaner, I replaced the TBi, fuel filter, had new cap and plugs and plug wires. Then I was trying new plugs again and checked the gap on them again and they were about .33 and they needed to be .45. Fixed all my problems.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 PM

ok i'll check the gap heres the thing i found out the egr is bad checked with vacuum tester it didn't shut down. so i know its bad can that also cause the same back fire if it isn't working corectly and i have one ? i replaced all the lines but there this metal one in the rear of the egr toward the disty were does this hose go ? cause the hose is just dangling there

Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

I would have no clue where that one would go. Mine is a 87 and is TBi. I have never worked on a carbed one before.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...528003d92d.gif

Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 PM

also have another issue the brake light pops on when it feel like it and i know the 2 in 2 out brake line box is bad do u know what they call that box

Old 01-20-2011, 01:08 PM

found out that part my main issue is the carb so yeah the engine is fine i need to change the filters and go from there cause most likely the carb is gona need a over haul

Old 01-20-2011, 02:24 PM

well fixed the truck found out someone put the spark plug wires on backwards so now its running strong i did all this to find out what was the cause i new someone messed with it before i bought it

Old 01-20-2011, 03:37 PM

but i still have 2 things to fix while it runs strong

Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

glad you got the firing order starightened out.

a little suggestion brother. when you're posting, try & use some punctuation in your posts-besides the question marks (?)-it gets to be a little difficult to seperate your statement from the question you're asking.

as for the vacuum diagrams.........those can be kinda hard to track down. try looking on ALLDATA's site, or hitting up any of the local book guys @ a swap meet for a service manual. if i can find one for a 41 year old car, you should be able to find one for an early S-series truck.

GL with the search. keep us posted on your progess.

Quick Reply: 1983-1984 v6 2.8l chevy s10 2 wd problem