1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1990 Blazer brake and electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Starting Member
cmac1990 is on a distinguished road
Default 1990 Blazer brake and electrical issues

hi guys, i am having issues and hoping someone can help me out.
i just bought this 1990 blazer a couple days ago it has the 6.2 diesel engine and it runs great, execpt that the front brakes slowly drag then lock up while driving ok so here is what i have done so far:

1) replaced both driver side and passenger side front, Rotors, pads, and calipers, (did the wheel bearings also, just because i already it apart)
brakes now take longer to reach lock up (i can drive about 4 miles before they start to drag)
2) when i repalced all the brakes in the front i flushed the master cyl and lines with brake fluid as it didn't look that great. and yes i bled the brakes properly and have no air in the lines.
3) drove the Blazer around tonight and after about 4-5 miles the brakes really started to drag, pulled over and opened the bleeders on both front brakes and the calipers released right away. i am thinking that my issue is either that i need to replaced both brake lines to the wheels (the rubber ones) and/or the booster is bad. what do you guys think?

My other issue is that as i was driving it around tonight before the brake lockup is that the Gauge/Idle fuse blew, i replaced it and after about 1-2 minutes it blew again. obviously i have a short somewhere, i am just wondering what exactly is in that fuses circuit so i can narrow down my search. thanks for any help you guys can give!!!

Old 10-29-2015, 11:55 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

being a 6.2 your booster is a hydro boost powered by the power steering pump, usually when I had trouble with one they leaked or I had hard brake peddle and tight power steering also it would affect all four brakes not just the fronts, If you are using your brakes on occasion and they slowly drag more on each use till they lock up I would replace the rubber lines, the interior of the lines goes bad and swells letting fluid go in under high braking pressure and there is not enough return pressure to return and release the brake calipers .

Old 10-30-2015, 12:31 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i second the rubber lines, you can try taking the tires off and spinning the rotor. then step on the pedal really hard and release to see if you can get them to lock up, next open the bleeder screw on the caliper if the brakes release that usually indicates a rubber line.

that ign/gau fuse powers a lot of crap, at least on my 93 s10 it does. i have the same problem, luckily mine only blows about every 4 hours or so and it being a off road only vehicle i just keep replacing it

The IGN/GAU fuse powers up the following electrical devices:
Cruise Control
Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)
Rear defogger switch
Rear defogger relay
Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
Rear view mirror
Generator
Variable tuning control relay
Oxygen sensor
Transmission
Convenience center

Old 10-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Starting Member
cmac1990 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, i replaced the rubber lines tonight and then went for a drive, made it about 8 miles with normal braking until they started to drag. i forgot to mention that the parking brake light is on in the middle brightness and i belive that this is indicating an issue with the perportionaning valve, in the morning i will take the back brakes apart and check them as i have heard that leaking wheel cyl in the rear drums can cause this warning light to trip, as can any kind of leak. Also, i think i may have found my wiring problem, the stock radio was taken out by the previous owner and all the wires were kinda just left hanging, i installed a new fuse and turned the key on, then tested all the wires until i found the power one, i taped it off and havent had the fuse blow since.
thanks again for all the help!