1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

won't start damn-it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 PM
rick1toknow is on a distinguished road
Default won't start damn-it.

Okay guys this is not the comedy hour, more like general hospital.

I bought a 92 2 door, vortec 4x4 that the folks told me some critters got to the wirings, not the whole truth to say the least.

Paid 250 for truck, noticed it had vortec and fuel injection and\ was pretty stoke4d.
Toop half of the plenum rode shotgun, taqke4n apart ny some other person.

Won't start, seems to crank easy enough and sounds decent. Not power to fuel pump relay, I bypass.

Could hear fuel PUMP WORKING AFTER relay. nOW THIS IS FUNNY, REMOVED GAS TANK AND FUEL PUMP , BENCH test and pumps good.
Put back together, no start, remove tank and [pump, run fuel pump pressure and volume test.

No fuel at bleed off valve.

remove fuel pump to find the internal harness wires to the Plus and Neg were switched, pump ran, could hear it no fuel, because it must be running backwards. Go figure..

Now by this time I could not get behind putting tank and pump back in without CUTTING LARGE SQUARE OUT OF DECK YO ACCESS FUEL PUMP FROM INSIDE LUGGAGE AREA. wHAT A CONSCEPT. TOOK ALL OF 5 MINUTES TO REINSTALL AND ...........

pLENTY OF FUEL, PRESSURE AND VOLUME TO BLEED OFF VALVE AND NO START.

rEPLACED SPIDER AND FpV AND WITH WORTHY SCRAP YARD PARTS. NO START.

tHIS VEHICLE HAD SAT THE WINTER OUT UNDER WATER, MUST BE AN aQUARIUS.

nO START AND GOOD SPARK, DASH LIGHTS ande courtesy lights, inop. I think I have a drowning victim, no need to call Orkin yet.

What do you think I should check next thinking electrical??????????? help me conquer this beast and turn her into a smooth running beauty, please give me feedback, with tolerances and specs if you can.

rick1toknow

Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Ok sure..

I cannot TOLERATE this slack-jawwed jargon

SPEC-ifically your use of caps lock and poor sentence structure.

J/K.... Fuel pressure is 58-60psi at the "schrader" valve on the back of the intake. You must use a gauge, eyeballing flow rate and "good preasure" just aint gonna cut the mustard. The truck may have good pressure, but its only 45psi... You wont know its not high enough without a gauge. The spider doesnt function properly without high enough pressure.

You may also wish to start your thread in the appropriate section - 1st gen tech

Last edited by ohsofly; 09-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:17 PM
rick1toknow is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for the input

Originally Posted by ohsofly
Ok sure..

I cannot TOLERATE this slack-jawwed jargon

SPEC-ifically your use of caps lock and poor sentence structure.

J/K.... Fuel pressure is 58-60psi at the "schrader" valve on the back of the intake. You must use a gauge, eyeballing flow rate and "good preasure" just aint gonna cut the mustard. The truck may have good pressure, but its only 45psi... You wont know its not high enough without a gauge. The spider doesnt function properly without high enough pressure.

You may also wish to start your thread in the appropriate section - 1st gen tech
I can not tell if the reply started with a quote or critism? In either event this is a quote " A diamond is just a peice of coal that does well under pressure"
I thank you much for the information concerning my fuel situation. I am not quite sure pressure is the only thing needed and I was wondering if a volume test is also needed. Could you reply to this? Thanks Rick

Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I was just being a dick cause your stuff was tough to read. Dont sweat it.

Nah dont bother with volume. Just the pressure test will suffice. Ive got a video on youtube of how to do this test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlUzSLRdao

I had bad luck with junkyard spiders in the past.

Last edited by ohsofly; 09-16-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:28 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to the correct section, '1st Gen Tech'*