1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1993 s10 blazer only starts if I keep my foot on the gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Brody Williams is on a distinguished road
Default 1993 s10 blazer only starts if I keep my foot on the gas

Bought a 1993 s10 blazer off a friend of mine recently with a no start issues it will only run if you play with the gas pedal and even the sometimes it won't this it my first 4.3 I've worked on and I'm stumped I've replace a lot of stuff though (list below) also I have the W code 4.3

Replaced
Fuel pump(twice)
Spider injectors
Icm
Maf
Cap
Rotor
Spark plugs
Iac
Tps
and the egr valve

any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-27-2016, 12:25 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Okay, lets stop throwing parts at it. With these trucks, when you are putting your foot on the gas, are you putting it to the floor? Or just pressing it lightly?

What brand fuel pump and injectors were used when you replaced them. These things are picky as f&*k, same goes for the plugs, rotor and cap. They LOVE OEM parts and really do not like aftermarket parts *airtex* for example. The more information we have the better we can help you.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:31 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

:icon_lol:
Originally Posted by Brody Williams
Bought a 1993 s10 blazer off a friend of mine recently with a no start issues it will only run if you play with the gas pedal and even the sometimes it won't this it my first 4.3 I've worked on and I'm stumped I've replace a lot of stuff though (list below) also I have the W code 4.3

Replaced
Fuel pump(twice)
Spider injectors
Icm
Maf
Cap
Rotor
Spark plugs
Iac
Tps
and the egr valve

any help would be greatly appreciated
You could start by making sure your getting fire to all 6 plugs!

Old 12-27-2016, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by richphotos
Okay, lets stop throwing parts at it. With these trucks, when you are putting your foot on the gas, are you putting it to the floor? Or just pressing it lightly?

What brand fuel pump and injectors were used when you replaced them. These things are picky as f&*k, same goes for the plugs, rotor and cap. They LOVE OEM parts and really do not like aftermarket parts *airtex* for example. The more information we have the better we can help you.

Most of of the parts that were replaced were done before I bought the truck I replaced the IAC and the throttle position sensor with napa brand parts and the previous owner put in a Delphi fuel pump with a life time warranty

Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 AM

Also usually will start with foot to the floor or if I feather the pedal and I can come off the pedal almost all the way then once I let off it dies immediately

Old 01-06-2017, 05:05 PM

Finally got around to working on it again today checked my fuel pressure

key on 56 psi

key off after 1 min 55-54

key off 5 min 50

key off 10 min 46

thats at out of spec I think?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:18 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Yes it is. If its a ne delphi pump, it could be the spider injectors under the plenum. you need to check the fuel pressure at the filter. if the pressure stays up, its most likely the spider. if it leaks down again, itd the pump

Old 01-07-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by newguy
Yes it is. If its a ne delphi pump, it could be the spider injectors under the plenum. you need to check the fuel pressure at the filter. if the pressure stays up, its most likely the spider. if it leaks down again, itd the pump
I'll definitely give it a try but the spider injectors have been replaced as well could it possibly be the fuel pressure regulator?

Old 01-07-2017, 02:34 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Brody Williams
I'll definitely give it a try but the spider injectors have been replaced as well could it possibly be the fuel pressure regulator?
pull off the throttle body from the plenum. Look for shiny areas under the plenum. should be charcoal black. shiny spots mean gas has been washing it clean. If so you have a leak under there. if not ,pump is bad

Old 01-11-2017, 09:06 PM

Took the plenum off and checked everything looked a little clean on the drivers side put it all back together and same thing no start I did spray a little intake cleaner in before I tried to start it and it tried to fire up but seemed to die after that ran out so guess I'll start to look into fuel pump issues

side note I talked to my buddy the previous owner and he told me that he replaced the fuel pump 3 TIMES it would run for about an hour or so but then he would try and fire it up and again same no start no idle every time he did it

Quick Reply: 1993 s10 blazer only starts if I keep my foot on the gas