1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1994 GMC Jimmy help

Old 07-10-2015, 05:05 PM
NCboy20 is on a distinguished road
Default 1994 GMC Jimmy help

Need help who knows how to change a steering gear box on a 1994 GMC Jimmy. Or where can I find out how. Thanks

Old 07-11-2015, 05:17 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Its fairly simple.

you will need
sockets
rachet
crowbar
pittman arm puller
breaker bar or a heavy duty pipe to give leverage on a rachet if need be.
hammer
-------------

1. remove the pressure lines,Disconnect pittman arm off the center link (the arm that connects to the steering stuff on the front end.)
2. there is the shaft that runs from the steering wheel to the box. there should be a plastic cover above the box you have to pull off. Once off you will see 1 single bolt holding the shaft on. Remove bolt. then take the crowbar,wedge in in there and pry the shaft off. the shaft is 2 pieces and itll slide off of it. fun part is getting back on the box once done. its keyed so itll only go on one way. ONCE you get it partly on for sure use crowbar flat end,lay it against the shaft and lightly hit it with a hammer until it slides on to where you can install the bolt back in.
3. remove the bolts off the frame thats attached to the box. pull the box out.
4. if you are reusing the pittman arm you need that pittman arm puller to get it off. remove the big nut,use that puller to get it off. Autozone rents the tool out,pay a deposit then return it for the refund.

Pretty much it. im going to go eat my dinner now. good luck.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:24 PM

Thanks it really helped. Do you know how to do lower and upper ball joints?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:23 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Upper Ball Joints are riveted from the factory. Need to drill out the rivets. New ball joints come with nuts & bolts. Lower ball joint requires a ball joint press and ideally an Impact gun. The lower ball joint is pressed into the lower control arm. You can borrow a ball joint tool from Auto Zone Loan a Tool program. You pay for the tool up front but you get all your money back when you bring the tool back.

I would search you tube for videos for replacing ball joints. I would search S10 Ball Joint replacement.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:11 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mr.vls
Upper Ball Joints are riveted from the factory. Need to drill out the rivets. New ball joints come with nuts & bolts. Lower ball joint requires a ball joint press and ideally an Impact gun. The lower ball joint is pressed into the lower control arm. You can borrow a ball joint tool from Auto Zone Loan a Tool program. You pay for the tool up front but you get all your money back when you bring the tool back.

I would search you tube for videos for replacing ball joints. I would search S10 Ball Joint replacement.
Are you talking about 2wd or 4wd.
I am pretty sure the 4wd lower ball joints are not pressed in. Just the 2wd models.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Beginning Member
Topless is on a distinguished road

I recently did the uppers on my 2wd Jimmy. The drilling out the rivets is the worst part.
Use jack stands under the lowers arms and the weight of the truck will keep the springs in place.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:43 PM
Starting Member
Fusion is on a distinguished road

I have a 78 Jimmy and the rear window will not work, I've taken off the access panel but I cannot seem to find anything that will allow me to lower it down manually

Old 01-15-2016, 12:07 PM

Hi I'm too dumb but I'm putting a fuel filter on my 1994 Gmc Jimmy so do I put the aero for flow faceing the front or to the back??

Old 01-16-2016, 09:03 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Arrow goes to the front.