1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1994 S10 Blazer wont start after driven for a while

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Bushwacker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1994 S10 Blazer wont start after driven for a while

Hi all,

So heres the problem hopefully someone can help. After driving the vehicle for a while I stop and get out to do whatever it is I have to do. I get back in and the dang thing won’t start. It just turns over and that’s it. After waiting for a while like an hour or so, I try it again and it starts. I have no idea what it could be. A little history about it. I got this from my son in-law. He cracked the intake manifold when trying to replace the thermostat. So I found one at the local U-Pullit. Swapped everything over and all is fine. Only one thing. I can hear a knock in the bottom end. Well ok, guess I'll have to rebuild or get a new long block for it sooner or later. Other than the knock it runs great...when it runs.LOL. As far as I can tell up to this point that is the thing wrong with it, that and the starting problem. Thing is, I really don't want to get rid of this Blazer. It's immaculate inside and out. I mean it looks like it did new back in 94.

Any help would be great and thanks.

Bush.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Bruce S. is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Hi......

......I'm not sure your problem is the same as mine, but it sounds VERY similar. Mine would up and quit running. It would crank and crank and not start. After about 30 mins. it would start up fine. After awhile the length of time between dying and starting increased to overnight before it would restart. I drive a 91 blazer w/4.3 non-vortec(don't think it makes a difference here). Looking around here on the Forum I found a solution:

I installed a new ignition module(found inside the distributor). we ran it til it stopped and then tested for spark from the distributor....there was none. I needed a new module that day, so I sprang for the $90+ it cost, but now I'm confidently back on the road. note: I had replaced the fuel filter and coil before getting to the module.

Hope this helps.

B

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Bushwacker is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry been away for a bit. Hey thanks for the the info bro. I am indeed changing out the ignition mod next.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:23 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Before just buying an ICM and installing it, you can have AutoZone or Advance Auto test your old one. Be sure they run the test 6-10 times to get the ICM hot because that is when they will fail.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:37 AM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Before just buying an ICM and installing it, you can have AutoZone or Advance Auto test your old one. Be sure they run the test 6-10 times to get the ICM hot because that is when they will fail.
That would make you positive that its the ICM good idea