1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4x4 posible temp fix with unexpected problem

Old 02-08-2017, 10:52 AM
nater is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 posible temp fix with unexpected problem

ok so my 4x4 will work for a short number of shifting sequences if i un plug the tccm fuse. i know my input shaft seal on the t case is bad as the t case is full of trany fluid, but im holding off to fix that until it is officially spring. what i have been doing all winter is unplugging the battery to reset the ecm and tccm when i needed 4x4, but this is pretty tedious and next to impossible if i am already stuck. pulling the fuse is just about as tedious as my 300# 6'2'' *** has to get out of the truck to reach the fuse box. so i had a brilliant idea(or so i thought). i extended wires out from the fuse panel and installed the fuse(for safety) and a switch in series. the switch would produce the same affect as pulling the fuse but easier to access. my intent was to leave the switch off until i needed 4x4 then turn it on and cycle my key. problem is when my switch is turned off the truck will only start(take off from dead stop) in second gear even holding the shifter in manual 1st. but last i knew the tccm wasnt supposed to control the transmission at all, so am i wrong about that or did i mess something else up. turning switch on fixes shifting but now i have to wait a bit to reset the tccm, as opposed to flipp the switch and cycle the key.

i know the correct answer is replace the tcase input shaft seal and clean/replace the encoder and vacuum stuff, but i am not even going to try that until its done snowing, if i have not messed up something else and this is just how it works then i am fine with that until spring, but to me it seemed like something that could be a sign of a diferent problem. the shifts do seem a little soft to me but i am also used to my camaro that barks the tires on shifts.