1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

86 s10 has power won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
ibconfuzzled is on a distinguished road
Default 86 s10 has power won't crank

'86 s-10 2.8L - brother's wife drove to store, worked fine. 10 minutes later, wouldn't start.

Tried multiple jump starts, even replaced battery. Checked battery leads and all obvious wires. As only heard a "click" when key was turned thought maybe starter burshes - did usual thumpping, no help.

Sparked across starter terminals with screw driver so it is receiving power.

Noticed the following: Radio does not work, heater/ac fan does not work, rear lift gate "button release" does not work. Head lights work, turn signals work, courtsey light under hood works. Fuses in box under dash [drivers side all appear good].

Have tried all that my brother and I could think of and all a "back yard mechanic" could suggest.

Could something in steering column cause an issue like this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the starter solenoid is energizing (that click you hear) but still not turning over, then the starter motor itself is most likely at fault.

The other issues aside, I would concentrate on the starter. If you can get a test light onto the starter solenoid trigger wire and verify that it is getting +12V when the key is moved to the START position, then you can say for certain that the starter is the cause of the no crank problem.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 AM
ibconfuzzled is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If the starter solenoid is energizing (that click you hear) but still not turning over, then the starter motor itself is most likely at fault.

The other issues aside, I would concentrate on the starter. .
Thanks for the response! That was the conclusion that I came to late yesterday. Managed to get a probe down there and it has voltage. Hope to have a replacement starter for it later today. Then will tackle the other issues that seemed to pop up at the same time. I'll keep the forum advised as to what the outcome is.