1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

89 s10 blazer 4.3 oil line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Beginning Member
rdhoping72 is on a distinguished road
Default 89 s10 blazer 4.3 oil line replacement

hi,i need to replace oil lines and noticed the front axle is in the way of unbolting the lines,is it possible to drop the oil filter part,and then unbolt lines..ive never done it,just curious if that will work..

Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member
nucas is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rdhoping72
hi,i need to replace oil lines and noticed the front axle is in the way of unbolting the lines,is it possible to drop the oil filter part,and then unbolt lines..ive never done it,just curious if that will work..
do you mean the lines running out of the filter? i ended up needing to replace these also, and went to an independent mechanic friend of mine who ultimately had to dismount and lift the engine to actually do the job. the difficult associated with it is why i imagine no one had even bothered to try it for 20 years of vehicle life, they were pretty worn and literally pulsing oil at times.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member
rdhoping72 is on a distinguished road

yea those are the ones,,,i hope not on the engine lift..i thought if i dropped the bolts underneath mounted to motor,i can change then.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Beginning Member
SteveS is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Just found this forum.
Another thread answered more questions but that thread was closed.

Anyway, my concern is at the engine end of the lines.

As I understand it may be necessary to slightly raise the engine to get these lines off?
And I'll need to use a couple extensions with a swivel or two and access the one bolt that attaches the lines to the filter adaptor?
So I can leave the two bolt adaptor thingy on the block?
Thanks

Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 PM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a '94 blazer with the 4.3L MFI engine and remote oil filter. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but we replaced the oil lines from the motor to the remote filter without removing/unbolting the engine or removing/unbolting the axle. I'm not sure as it was two years ago, but at least you know it can be done...

Watch out for specific part numbers. My new oil lines (from LMC truck) did not match the old ones. Although they fit, their path to the remote filter was different and got in the way of the factory intake box. I am now forced to run my own mocked up version of a cold air intake to avoid the oil lines.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

<----- Never lifted the engine. Just a few extensions and cuss words and good to go! You can buy new ones, replace the rubber hoses on the current ones, get a hydraulic shop to make new ones, or go with a braided line setup. I went with replacing the rubber lines.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Beginning Member

Hey, I'm back.
Started my oil line project; have a couple questions.

I removed the front splash guard. Much better visability.
Do I need to remove the shroud and radiator also?
I don't see how those lines will come out of there. The replacement lines look different on the parts fiche. It shows 2 sections of hose. Mine has just 1 section of hose (about 1ft long) which is at the filter end, the rest of it is metal tubing. Obviously it won't bend, so that's why I ask about the radiator & shroud.
Also, will I have to remove the engine to get them out? Looks like a very tight fit.
I don't have a manual, and can't find anything about it in a Chilton or Mitchell.
Thanks.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member
87blazerswapped is on a distinguished road

did a swap on my 87. if you have the two separate lines going to your oil cooler adapter on the block either above the filter or no filter at all. depending on 4x4 or 4x2. if you have the separate lines just cut them off and go to the junk yard and from 90 or so and up to 98 have a oil cooler adapter on them that is the newer style with formed lines to a fitting and one single bolt in the center. that is for the 4 wheel drive setup. and if your having trouble getting to the single bolt if thats the set up you have you can go in through the front next to the steering box with a 2 or 3 foot extension and get right to the bolt. hope this helps ya out alittle bit

Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Beginning Member

87blazeerswap

Should have mentioned:

I have a 89 4W without the oil cooler. Just the 2 oil filter lines.

I would think a 87 would have been the same. I guess my initial question is how to get the old lines out. Did you have to cut them? Jeez. Any problem getting the replacement ones in?
Do you recall if you had to remove your radiator?

It appears the replacement ones do not come forward as far as mine do before they make a 90deg turn and go up to the fender. One size fits all evidently.

Tomorrow I'll crawl under there. Maybe. See if I can get the old ones off.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Beginning Member
87blazerswapped is on a distinguished road

heres what you do. and yes its much easier to cut them off pull em out and be done with it lol. i had a 93 4.3 with your lines on it. go to the junk yard and look at years 95 and up with cpi or sfi. they have the newer style oil cooler adapters that you can only find the newer style lines at parts stores to work on these adapters. for some reason you can not get the lines you have anymore. this adapter will have two bolts that you will take out to get the adapter off. make sure you keep these because you will need them to bolt it to your motor. and of course this adapter bolts up real nice even if you already dropped the motor in and figured out you have to find a adapter that no parts stores sell either.so yes you will need to go to a yard to get this adapter not even dealers carry it.also you will only need to get one of the two lines,since you have no cooler lines just a remote filter. you can get them both at the parts stores. the have remote block to radiator . and remote block to engine block. you will need the line from the remote block to the engine block, the line that has two fittings on each end with a single bolt in the center. if you dont have or lost the gaskets you can use a 14mm rubber/metal drain plug gasket. i will get some pics if you need some really is a breeze when its all done.

also where are your lines going to? you may have to do the whole swap over to the newer style lines. basically is your filter up behind the driver headlight.?

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-07-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.

Quick Reply: 89 s10 blazer 4.3 oil line replacement