1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 blazer front end popping noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM
bam_9_9_9 is on a distinguished road
Default 93 blazer front end popping noise.

Hi im Brad and im new here but anyway, i got a 1993 s10 blazer 4x4 4dr with the vortec. whenever i make a hard left or turn left and hit a bump or go over a really huge bump it make a popping noise like, pop pop pop pop really fast. it kinda sounds like its a metal to metal hitting noise.

ive replaced the cv halfshaft, and the upper a-arm bushings and still no luck. please tell me what you think.

thanks,
Brad

Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Only when turning or also when going over "a really huge bump"?

If it does straight over the big bump I'd start checking the universals on your drive shaft.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 PM

it pops when turning left (a 90 degree turn) its starting to do it when turning right now. the noise is coming from the front end. or when im offroading it sometimes does it when just going straight or turning a little bit on offroad torrain. i checked the drive shafts, they look good still.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Beginning Member
joeroket is on a distinguished road

Sure does sound like a bad CV joint. I'm not sure about going straight on offroad terrain but the rest of the what you are reporting is textbook CV joint.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you replace both CV joints? If not, how did you choose which one to replace

Does the sound happen when turning sharp regardless of speed? If so, have someone walk along each side and listen.

Does it change when in 4wd?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 PM

i replaced the right front cv because when i turn sharp left it pops but the cv is not the problem. it does it in 4wd also. if i turn sharp really slow and not hit any bumps while turning on paved roads it will not pop. but if im on a paved road and turn left 90 degrees while going kinda fast it will pop. and if i keep turning and going fast it will popopopopopopopop really fast.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Wild guess but have you checked the ball joints?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I think your problem sounds like the other cv shaft. Either shaft can make noise turning either direction... the faster you are moving the worse it will sound.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:45 PM

I went to sears today to have it checked out. they couldnt find what was causing it, but they told me that i had a busted motor mount on the driver side and the lower ball joint is going bad on the driver side also. but he told me that he didnt think that was the problem. everything else he said was good except that the tires were really bad, which i already know.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 PM

had the ball joint replaced and the popping noise still continues. im going to get all the tie rods and the idler arm replaced. to see if that fixes it.

Quick Reply: 93 blazer front end popping noise.