1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 blazer front end popping noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Let us know what happens... you have me curious now.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:52 PM
bam_9_9_9 is on a distinguished road

ok got and put on new inner and outer tie rods on both sides. and the idler arm. IT STILL POPS. going to have it realigned tomorrow and new tires monday but have no idea why it still pops. its like a clunking sound i dont know. but its comming from the front passenger side. do you think the busted motor mount might be causing it to pop. or lower a arm bushings. took it to multiple shops and they dont know what it is either.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 AM

ok found out what the problem is. its the torsion bar. had my friend rock the truck back and forth and it was popping. i got under the truck and had him rock it again and saw the torsion bar moving up and down back and forth and heard it pop. what do i need to do to fix this.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It likely is the torsion bar cross member mount. I know it has been discussed in the past and that it was difficult finding this part in the parts stores...

Old 06-19-2009, 01:45 AM

yes it is the torsion bar crossmember mounts. the rubber on the mounts were completly torn apart. replaced them. then i test drove it, turning sharp corners and by going off road with it and no popping at all. its all fixed now. but the torsion bars were cranked up quite a bit. so i think of your going to crank up the t-bars then replace the mounts also. cause i read on some forums that after they crank the t-bars they hear popping noises right after. but thanks to everbody that helped me out.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Beginning Member
boscoedoodle is on a distinguished road

I ripped the stationary steering arm out of my '93 recently.
It has two big bolts which attach it to the frame. Access to the bolts are on the opposite side of the frame. Yours could be loose or about to tear out,
There isn't alot of room in there and mine popped awhile before I found it.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Joey1975 is on a distinguished road

I"ve had several Blazers do what you"re describing and usually it"s the bushing at the rear of you"re torsion bar where it connect,s to the crossmember/frame.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member
cmh_20 is on a distinguished road

just put a straight axle under it problems solved

Old 10-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Drizzt is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue, to the T, with my 93 Jimmy. Good to know what it is. I had replaced all 4 ball joints already. Tie rods and Idler arm were fine, coyldn't figure out for the life of me what it was. Anyway, this been real helpful to me. Now I don't have to throw money away figuring it out.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:03 AM

yea glad this helped you out. i put about 130 bucks in her before i found out what it was. remember to measure from the tire to the bottom of the fender before you take the torsion keys out to replace the mounts. and put some lock tight on them when you crank them back in. when your cranking them have someone keep measuring the height from the fender and the top of the tire to the correct height you had before. as your cranking it will go up. oh and its a bitch to get the passenger side one in just to let you know. but its doable. take the torsion bars loose from the bottom a arm to get the passenger side one in. thats what i did and it was a little easier to get it in. and a tip have the front end lifted up at all times. if you take those two bolts out holding the keys up and let the jack down it will turn into a low rider. hope this helped

Quick Reply: 93 blazer front end popping noise.