1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93' brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Beginning Member
tprouty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 93' brakes

Hi guys,
I'm new here. I just picked up a '93 S10 Blazer for my winter ride. I got it for free and now im running into some problems. I will try and explain it the best as I can.

So Both the ABS and BRAKE light are on. Brakes work... It just takes a long*** time to stop... you need to push down really***** hard and then it still takes time to stop.
My girlsfriends brother took off the tire lastnight to bleed the brakes, and he was not able to take off the "bleedable"? We looked at the brake fluid and it looks like someone took a**** in there its that dirty.. I got the truck from my girlfriend and she keeps telling me that "ABS module" is broke and she never replaced it cause it 400$ Is the main cause or does it sound like something else?

LET'S PLEASE WATCH THE LANGUAGE. KEEP IT 'FAMILY FRIENDLY'.
THANKS

Old 12-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 93' brakes

It is a standard problem with these vehicles.

Mine failed internally, so I got a much newer-looking ABS module from a '94 Blazer in a junkyard that works perfectly. Be careful to keep as much fluid in the module as possible (oh, and you'll need metric flare nut wrenches for the lines).

However, nasty fluid also can be a problem. Rotted-out hoses can be a problem as well, as they were on mine (which also can cause nasty fluid). If you can't loosen the bleeder screw even after spraying it with PB Blaster or something like it, you probably will have to replace the calipers. They're a whole $15 at Advance Auto - get new pads as well, which are about $25 for the pair for Bendix. Also, get new hoses because yours are probably breaking up inside, adding to the yuck.

Suck all the fluid out of the master cylinder (turkey basters work well), then refill with fresh, clean fluid. Do NOT put synthetic brake fluid into these systems - use DOT 3. Then start the bleeding process, starting with the rear right wheel cylinder, then left rear, then right front caliper, then left front - keep the master cylinder full as you do this. If it empties, you've just sucked air into the ABS module and you'll have to take it to someone with a Tech I scan tool to have them bled. If they know how.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Beginning Member

Awsome! Thanks for the info, Just placed the order for the ABS module.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 PM

Did you test it first according to the flow chart? It might not be bad...

PS: I'm originally from W. Simsbury and lived in Manchester for a year.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Beginning Member

Well I had the ABS module replaced and the calipers and the pads, only cost $331 now it stops right! Thanks for the info

Old 12-27-2008, 06:15 PM

Glad you got it fixed

Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Beginning Member

I ran into another problem maybe you could help me with[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

After getting the work done to it i drove it around and it was fine, stops great and ABS works, I was low on gas so I stopped at the gas station and started filling it up, I'm so used to putting 93 in the S2000 so I mistakenly put 93 grade in the Blazer, the next day or two, I was driving and came to a stop and the thing stalled out on me. started her back up and drove off, and once again come to a stop and it stalls, It seems to stall out when ever my RPMs drop too low. When its just idling it sounds like its puttering and wants to die, I need to keep my foot on the gas just to make it sound normal. It drives fine, Its just when its idling or low RPM. Any suggestions on that?

I asked my g/f to ask her father about it, and he said he dropped 1500 last year replacing the whole fuel system, and the sensors within the front end. "Its got a whole new front end, should not be doing that"

EDIT - Also, after about 3 min of rough idling the SES light comes on... stays on for a few then it goes away...???

Old 12-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

fuel filter, fuel regulator, or even the battery.