1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 S-10 Blazer Fuel Economy??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Mariongo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 93 S-10 Blazer Fuel Economy??

Hi All
First ...I know that my blazer wasn't built for economy but come on...
I went to Las Vegas from San Diego (5 hours Drive I hit 75 on my speedometer) on my 93 Blazer S-10 so the whole trip set me back 140 bucks just on fuel not cheap..But normal for this truck?? oh and I came back with 3 quarters empty gas tank ...Well the last time I went there with a friend on his humongous 93 Suburban he ran at 95 on his speedometer and we spent 90 bucks on Fuel WTF?
Anyways I service my engine In august I changed everything except the rotor and rotor cap, new oil, new air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, bosh sparkplugs, bosh sparkplug cables... The thing that I noticed since I acquired this car (July 06) is that the fuel pump seems kind of noise I mean you can hear it standing on the front of the car with the engine running and If you go the back the noise seems high and annoying.. Could this be why my fuel economy it's terrible???

The car runs fine though...

any of you guys knows how to get rid of the rear window squeak???

Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 93 S-10 Blazer Fuel Economy??

well first off the window squeak is semi permanenet. the latch in thr gate is adjustable but the natural shake of the trucks will probably loosen it again. but you should be good for a few months.
second lets calculate your trip. at 75 mph for 5 hrs will give roughly 375 miles travelled. now if u spent 140.00 at lets say 2.50 a gallon, that means u used 56 gallons. 56 gallons for 375 miles will give u 6.7 mpg. at 3.00 a gallon u would have used 47 gallons which would give u around 8mpg.
either way that is bad mileage, now there are several things that can lead to bad mileage. most components of the emission systems can lead to this. first i would have the truck scanned for any codes, then repair accordingly. do have any fuel smells with a smoky exhaust? then if so u may have a bad o2 sensor which are known to go by now for a 93. u could also clean ur egr valve and its T.B. passageway.
post back with any codes if any?

Old 01-13-2007, 09:56 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

As for the noise of the fuel pump I think that is pretty common as I hear this noise with my blazer and its a 2000.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:03 AM

No bad codes but now I remember when I took the truck to a repair shop to diagnose the tranny (Had a bad Turbine Sensor)
the guys there told me that the oxygen sensor cable was severed so they patch it but there computer gave them sensor fluctuations
so they recommended to change it but I've already spent 450 bucks on the tune up and tranny tune-up and turbine sensor
so I declined, bad move huh.. So yeah I will probably just change the sucker no more diagnostics.....

Ok Guys I will try the EGR valve cleanup this first thing tomorrow and post my findings

cheers

Old 01-14-2007, 02:33 AM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

Most fuel pumps are audible outside the car if you listen for them. From your description, I'm not convinced that the noise meams anything. If it sounds like a hive full of angry bees when you're inside the car at road speed, then you do have a problem!

Your question has little meaning until you calculate your ACTUAL gas mileage. the phrase "I got X miles on a tank" means nothing. There is no accuracy and no meaningful referent to the statement. And Saying "fuel cost me this much" makes even less sense! Fuel prices differ with every fill-up. How many miles EXACTLY did you drive? In those miles, EXACTLY how much fuel did you consume? Do you have data collected over 3-4 tanks of gas so there is some reliability to the result?

Gas mileage is miles driven divided by amount fuel consumed, and that's what you need to know in order to have meaningful information to work with. Calculate it over 3-4 tanks of gas, come back and give some actual mileage figures. If possible, try to do two tanks of in-town driving and two of highway driving so you can see what the difference is. Chances are your highway driving is 4-5 MPG better than your in-town driving.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:42 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you could have found your problem...the computer uses the readings from the precat O2 to make adjustments to the air/fuel ratio...also what type of Bosch plugs are you using, the multi-tip plugs will not work in a GM vehicle if you do use any plug use only a single electrode plug...most 4.3L GM work well with the original AC/Delco brand or NGK (rumors have it they make the AC/Delco OEM plugs).

Old 01-14-2007, 05:58 AM
kakn is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

this site is nice for mpg on vehicles. looks as tho if your blazer was brand new it would get roughly 16-18 mpg city and 21-23 mpg highway.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:47 PM

Yeah The EGR valve is dirty, I've also found this sensor on the air intake elbow that goes to the main intake to be old rusted and dirty, I think it's the Air Sensor or Air temperature sensor, I'm going to AutoZone to buy the thing, I dig around online and it appears the EGR valve getting dirty on this car apparently it's a common occurrence...And I read that you can buy a special screen filter to keep out carbon and dirt from getting to the Valve but I wonder if this will have an impact in performance??? Also the air intake elbow and the big hose and that connects to the Air intake elbow and goes all the way to the air filter on the drivers side right beside the radiator is old and cracked and patched with masking tape etc I found this on eBay what do you guys think?? This is the one with more damage nn my blazer where I removed the air sensor http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93...mZ260073868826
This is a replacement for all the intake hoses do you guys have an opinion on these?? Seems fairly good and I'm hoping it's not gimmicky http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230077035852

Oh yeah and I've used bosh platinum spark plugs not the fancier ones mind you just normal platinum..

And thanks for the link to the fuel economy mileage in cars very cool.... and because of this I know my car is acting because every time I go for grocery and the mall just normal city task more or less then 15 miles it cost me 10 bucks
Yours truly,
Mariongo.

O

Old 01-14-2007, 11:41 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Chrome Intake won't help with gas mileage, the way it is built you will only end up sucking warm air into the engine which will reduce your mileage...the stock air box is really the only really good "Cold Air Intake" it just needs a little tweeking to get more air in if that is what you need...

Also the IAT is also sensor needed for air/fuel mixture if the sensor is not working then it will make the computers job a lot more complicated. It looks like the computer is using default modes for injectors so you are throwing away a lot of money in gas... get the sensors replaced or fixed then things should settle back down...

Old 01-15-2007, 06:13 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

id throw out those bosch plugs, and purchase some A/C delcos or ngks.