1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 S10 Blazer Issues (Ticking, Stalling)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:57 PM
BigToast95 is on a distinguished road
Default 93 S10 Blazer Issues (Ticking, Stalling)

Hey all, I joined the forum when I originally bought my Blazer 3 months ago. Since then, I've put 2k miles on her (135k total now), and just had my first problem Saturday. Coming home from work, I was driving fine with no issues when I hit a flashing red light. I tapped my brakes to slow down, then all of a sudden I stalled. Before I stalled I had normal gauges, no signs of an issue. I rolled to a stop and put it in park, then turned my key off, then refired my engine just fine. Then, once again, I went to try my brakes and stalled out again. This time I rolled into a parking lot and checked my fluids, the whole shebang. I was down maybe a CM of brake fluid in my reservoir, so I refilled that to the top, refired, and drove home in stop and go traffic just fine.

Sunday Morning, I started up my engine, and it had developed a ticking noise. The ticking noise is loudened when I get on the gas, then never drops in noise level until I shut the truck off. From Sunday AM until today I drove with the ticking noise, but no brake/stalling problem. However, on my way to see my family mechanic regarding the ticking problem, the brake/stalling problem I thought had been fixed occoured once again.

My family mechanic says the only thing he can think of with the brake/stalling problem would be a vacuum leak, but if it was a vacuum leak the problem would be more consistent.

The ticking noise, however, he said could be the tensioner or one of the pulleys on the serpentine belt, the timing chain, or a bolt in the transmission. When using a stethoscope to try to pinpoint the ticking, we heard that it became louder near the firewall, both up top and down near the bell housing

I plan on taking the serpentine belt off tomorrow and running the engine to see if the noise still is there, so I have a course of action for that.

Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with my brake/stalling problem? I will see if I can upload a video with the ticking sound and post it in the sights N sounds part of the forum for all to hear.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive here, it's much appreciated with a 3 1/2 hour road trip coming up in a little over 2 weeks

Old 06-23-2014, 07:41 PM
BigToast95 is on a distinguished road

Well it looks like the two problems were just one. On my way to work tonight she started bucking bad on the highway and stalled out at nearly 80MPH. Seems pretty clear the problem is the timing chain.