1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 S10 Blazer, missing at med. speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:17 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ffox
Just replaced the ignition module, and ignition coil..Didn't make a bit of difference..When I test drive it after every replacement part, seems like it starts missing at about the exact same place every time, about 3 miles from home. I pull out from a stop sign, it starts shifting up, everything is fine til it shifts into high, then it starts missing and keeps missing no matter how fast or slow I go. About the only thing that keeps coming to mind now is "Wonder if it could make it to the shredder" lol
just came across your thread, & while reading it, i was waiting to see if you were gonna mention anything about what gear it was in when it started acting up.

do you know any trany shops around you? one that you can trust what they're telling you?

it sure sounds like it could be related to the lock up in the torque converter. i had a Cavalier years ago (who didn't!) that would do the same damn thing as your Blazer. went through the whole gambit of ignition related crap. (luckly i had spare ignition module & coil packs that i knew were good)

nothing fixed the issue. one day i happened to be talking with my trany friend, and i happened to make an off the cuff remark about how it was running.

well.......long story short, it was a lock-up solenoid in the trans (and a little dirt in the valve too). turns out i was malfunctioning switching on & off, and it felt just like the thing was missing.

just my nickel, but it would be worth checking out, since you've ruled out just about every other ignition relate component so far.

oh yeah, i forgot. plugs should be @ .045"

Old 02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Starting Member
ffox is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for that bit of info..I'll certainly see if I can find someone to ask. I don't know anybody right off hand that works on transmissions..

It starts acting up right around the time it shifts into high gear. And after it starts missing it keeps it up til I stop and then keeps doing it in idle. If I turn it off and let it sit awhile I can drive another 2 or 3 miles before it starts missing again...I'm wondering if maybe the computer temperature sensor could have anything to do with that..

Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Beginning Member
wade505 is on a distinguished road

ffox,

Did you ever get your problem fixed? Kinda wondering as I have a similar problem with a '92. It is making me nuts trying to find the reason it does this. Mine will only stumble and shake mostly going up a hill. Flat running is pretty good though. Weird...

Wade

Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Starting Member

Sorry guy, I wish I could say "Yep, it's fixed", of course I could say that but I would be lying. lol

Nope. I gave up on it and put it in the shop. He checked it out and said it defiantly was not the converter lock solenoid. He said it sounded like either a cracked plug or a bad plug wire. But it was doing that before I replaced the plugs and wires, that was WHY I replaced them, and I've checked them out twice since then, once to regap the plugs, and again to see if any of them were cracked..So I'm sure that's not the problem..I brought it back home before he sunk a bunch of money in doing things I've already done..

One other thing I thought about that it's been doing ever since I've had it, but never seemed to be causing any problems, so I never fooled with it.
Sometimes when I start it and put it in gear the turn signals will flash a few times and the wipers will wipe a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to effect the motor in any way..but it may be a short inside the column doing something, it's not normal that's for sure..
I'm not forgetting this thread, when/if I find the problem I'll come back and let everybody know what it was..I hate it when I read a whole thread like this just to get to the end of it and find out that the person never came back to let all the people that tried to help him know what the problem was. It's just not right.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Beginning Member

ffox, Thanks for the quick reply. I understand your frustration with the vehicle and with how some threads are just left out to dry! The situation with the blinkers and wipers sounds like it's in the turn indicator stem for sure. I can be humming along with the cruise control on and if I push it down for a left, it will shut the CC off! Sometimes I'll push for a turn and the wipers will go once. It's nuts.

As to the stumbling and missing, I've narrowed it down to an ignition problem for sure. The tranny is fine. After warm up, I can see where the problem gets worse, but still it will run fine on a flat road. The problem gets me when I'm going up hill. I'm on a rather tight budget right now, but I intend to change the plugs and wires soon. The Distributor cap and roter were the ORIGINAL! They were shot! This car sat up for a year with the owner starting it up once a week for about a minute or two. Just has the issues that any can have I guess. Fix a bunch and this missing thing is last on the engine list! If I get it right, I will let you know how it worked for me. Who knows, it might work for you as well...

Take care, Wade

Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the tips, every little bit helps..Mine starts missing at about the same speed every time...starts first crank, idles great, runs great, somewhere between 45 and 55 it'll miss once or twice, then in a very short while starts missing BAD, and it'll keep it up then til i get back home no matter what speed I go..

I read a good post yesterday that I'm going to try after while..Try tugging on the wires going through the manifold to the fuel injectors. The plug looked ok when I replaced the injectors but it may somehow be losing connection when it gets hot..Anything is worth a try at this point.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Starting Member
Default Update

Ok, here's the latest. Everything I've done up til yesterday has failed to get rid of the miss..As I mentioned before it had new plugs (Autolite) set at .035, then later at .045, new Bosch plug wires, even new insulators for the wires..Took it for a ride yesterday after sitting a couple of weeks, still had the miss, of course I hadn't done anything to it since I got it out of the shop..

Pulled it in the garage and took all the plugs and plug wires out and installed Delco plugs set at .045, which they were already set at, and Delco wires. Took it for about a 10 mile ride a little while ago and not a single miss at any speed..First time it hasn't missed since Nov..
Now, did I fix it,or did I not? Good question. I guess I'll know the answer in a day or 2.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

Good job, glad you've got it fixed. That says a lot for new plugs (Autolite plugs and new Bosch plug wires.

I've never used an Autolight plug, even though I've owned 3 Fords, use Champion plugs in them. And with all my GM cars I've always used Deloc plugs, never had a problem out of them.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Beginning Member
Default Glad ya got it going right!

ffox,

I managed to get some new plugs and wires last week. A/C Delco's by the way, and just standard issue plugwires. Got the new plugs in, except one that is frozen in place, and the vehicle runs great and gas milage has greatly improved. Still has that stumble/vibration in the front end, (that motor mount thing), but all in all, it runs great....Now to fix the windows, which I'm NOT looking forward to....

That one plug that won't budge, has been soaked with Kriol for days, and I still cannot get that bad boy out. Of course it has to be #5!! So' I'll just live with it I guess.

But again, Glad you got your vehicle going and keep those Delco's!!

Wade

Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Starting Member

Thanks Wade..
I hate it when people put things in like that without anti seize compound, sure makes it easier next time..

I've never had much luck with penetrating oil on things that's sealed like plugs and oxygen sensors, it has trouble getting to the threads.

You might have better luck loosing that if you can do it with a shock rather than a smooth constant pressure. If you can extend it out far enough to put a T bar on the extension and tap it with a hammer, might just jar it loose. Just be careful and don't break it. lol

Quick Reply: 93 S10 Blazer, missing at med. speed