1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94 Blazer Blower Fan not working / leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Beginning Member
Dohcser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 94 Blazer Blower Fan not working / leaking

I had my AC on and all of a sudden the blower shut off. The next I checked the fuse and it was fine. I did remove the plastic cover from under the passenger side to expose the blower/fan/heater core area and noticed antifreeze. So this leads me to believe that my heater core is bad.
I will be changing the heater core.
However here is my question.
Would this cause the blower not to work? I do not believe it would, but just like to verify.

I also took apart the fan control on the dash and verified there is voltage at the 4 wire connector, however only 3 out of the 4 connections has voltage, not sure if all 4 is supposed to be "hot".
Also I am not sure where the actual blower is located and what color wires are feeding power to it.

Can someone please help?

Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Check for voltage at the fan motor in the engine compartment at each fan speed. Check the ground connection as well. If you do not have voltage at the motor then you can check the blower motor resitor pack. The resistor pack is in the engine compartment and is located inside the evaporator housing. Two screws on top of the housing and it the resisor pack comes out. If you have voltage and a good ground then the fan motor is faulty.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by mr.vls
Check for voltage at the fan motor in the engine compartment at each fan speed. Check the ground connection as well. If you do not have voltage at the motor then you can check the blower motor resitor pack. The resistor pack is in the engine compartment and is located inside the evaporator housing. Two screws on top of the housing and it the resisor pack comes out. If you have voltage and a good ground then the fan motor is faulty.
Can you tell me exactly where the fan is, because I thought it was in the vehicle under the passenger side dash. From what you are saying it is in the engine compartment? If you can also direct me where the evaparator housing is located that would be great, if not, I will poke around.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Beginning Member

I cleaned the power and ground terminal, plus knocked on the motor a little and it seems to be working so far.
Now I have to tackle the replacing the heater coil. Any pics or procedure would be great in helping me doing such.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 AM

If yours is 1st Gen blazer then to replace the core. Remove Lower dash cover, Radio and trim, Inside the glove box there is an access cover and remove. Now you have to remove the heater core plastic housing that is located behind the glove box. 6 or 8 screws total. The access for all the screws are from the radio opening, the glove box opening and from underneath. There is also a heater hose connection that needs to be slid out from the cover (Radio Opening) (If you do not get the heater hose out of the cover you will damage the cover) Once all screws are removed, and the hose on top of the cover is removed then you can try and man handle the cover out. Once the cover is removed there are two retaining bars on each side of the core that needs to be removed. In the engine compartment disconnect the two heater core connections and then remove the core from under neath the dash. I do not have any pictures sorry.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, 1st gens are nice and easy like that! LOL

Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point

Swartlkk I was smiling and thinking the same thing as I was reading the instructions. I do remember replacing mine and I swore I'd never do it again. My advice to him is to pay someone who has done it before to do it.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 AM

I have owned mine now for 20 years and I have done this twice. I did damage my cover by not removing the heater hose connection from the top of the housing. I ended up with a replacement cover from the bone yard. Hopefully it will be a long time before I have to do it again.