1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Adjusting rocker arms????

Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Beginning Member
Pyro_fighter is on a distinguished road
Default Adjusting rocker arms????

ok so 92 4.3L "Z" I just got done replacing head gaskets on it. I am adjusting the rocker arms as per the service manual which says to take the play out which is done by tightening the nut till the push rod does not turn and then one full rotation after that. no biggie did that, turned the engine over one time and did the other ones per the book. Heres where I dont know if im going into full retard mode or not. When I put the engine back to tdc on number one the rocker arms and push rods were lose again, not really lose but the rocker arm is able to wiggle a little and the push rod could turn, so i did the whole sequence again and again by the book. Again when i put the engine back to tdc number 1 they were a little loose again. ???? The only thing I can think of is that as im turning he engine over (by hand) I must be collapsing the lifters?? (by the way little side note, the block is a 95 so im told from he guy I bought it from, and the lifters are roller lifters) so i really dont know what to do, I dont want to keep adjusting them down until I hear from someone that says to or that im doing something wrong and what to do right. Also these are press in type studs dont know if that helps or not.

Thanks in advance I really dont know what I would do with out this site sometimes

Last edited by Pyro_fighter; 11-11-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default Wish I could help

With old school engines you could adjust with the engine running.I never had much luck trying to adjust them while engine was on the stand and do what you are describing.
Im facing the same challenge with my engine shortly cause of the way the front brackets cover up the valve covers.I know theres a sequence on how to do it.As long as they are done in the proper sequence the ones that are loose should pump up after the engine starts.
Let me know how it works out for you.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You are doing it rigt, and you are dead on with the hudraulic lifters. Fire it up amd see how they sound.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 AM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

If the lifters are hydraulic then when the oil pressure builds up it will take care of the little bit of slack.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Beginning Member

Well crap thats what i was affraid of, since i have already done the sequence twice and now some are (im guessing bottomed out) what do i do now? I really dont want to pull everything apart, i cant set the lash with the lifters pumped up right? And i have no idea where to put the lash since the lifters are collapsed. Anu help would be great. Can i have some one spin the oil pump while i turn the engine? If thats even possible. By the way the engine just has the heads and intake on it nothing else so theres no firing it up

Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member

Nobody has done this before? Really could use the help cuz i dont want to bend puch rods on start up

Old 11-13-2012, 03:18 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

I'm gonna say its best to just bite the bullet and take it back down to the rods again and start over.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default Pyrofighter

Dont feel bad man I have my engine all the way put together cause of the dam brackets that cover the valve covers I have to take the front end off my engine and do what you have to do.