1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94 S-10 4.3 Vortec - fuel problem, regulator or spider

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

I would say try fuel filter next. You say pressure is good, what is it exactly with key ON and what is it when you rev it?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 PM
LRAYVICK is on a distinguished road

The old fuel filter was pretty plugged. But now it won't start and ALL I did was replace the filter - GRRRRRRR! Sure wish I would have started it before I replaced the filter then at least I would know if the new filter had anything to do with it. I have good pressure at the fuel line schrader valve.

I am going to take another look at the spider tomorrow.

I have never spent so much time diagnosing and trying to fix a problem like this.

Last edited by LRAYVICK; 11-23-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 11-25-2010, 01:24 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Check the wires that power the spider its basicly just a wire connector at each end (easy to replace) , my 94 s10 blazer had all these same problems that you are having , And thats after doing everything new spider , fuel pump , new tank , sending unit , everything possable . The wires appeared ok but when i moved them around the truck would start sometimes .After replacing these wires it runs great .

Old 11-27-2010, 11:46 PM

One last attempt and I think we FINALLY got it. Wiggled the spider connector and it started. Removed the plenum again and pinched the connector plugs a bit so it fit securely and zip-tied it on. Has been running fine now all day.

Fortunately we did not replace the spider or fuel pump or other expensive part. Have yet to see of the cat is cooked due to all the mis-firing. We did learn quite a bit about the vehicle. Thanks again to all.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it was a lack of fuel, I doubt that the cat was affected.

The connector is one of those items that somewhat rarely go bad, but when they do, they really make you scratch your head. For the cost of it, I would have just replaced it.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Beginning Member
seanpconley is on a distinguished road

I tell u what I changed everything that u are asking about except the ignition Control Module I bet that is the problem cuz I can see a a firework show under there with the lights off check yours

Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 AM

It is running great. No "fireworks show". As I said in the summary 1st post, all we really needed to change was the spark plug wires cause it was arcing and the electrical connection to the spider cause that was the reason for the intermitent fail to start and rough running at speed. Maybe the new fuel filter helped. In hindsight it was not necessary to change the ICM or TPS although maybe they helped along with the dist cap, rotor and plugs. I am really glad we didn't have to spend the money on a spider, etc. As it is we spent about $120.

Remember the old adage - try the simple things first.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Beginning Member
355camaro is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If it was a lack of fuel, I doubt that the cat was affected.

The connector is one of those items that somewhat rarely go bad, but when they do, they really make you scratch your head. For the cost of it, I would have just replaced it.
I want to replace the connector on my 94 but cant seem to find it anywhere! I called the local chevy dealer and they said they don't have a part# for it Any idea if i can get it online?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

"CPI+connector+number" returns this thread:
95 Fuel injector connector

Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Beginning Member
355camaro is on a distinguished road

Quick Reply: 94 S-10 4.3 Vortec - fuel problem, regulator or spider