1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94 s-10 blazer 4.3 engine W timing marks? and a few other questions

Old 11-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default 94 s-10 blazer 4.3 engine W timing marks? and a few other questions

I don't have a manual and I have searched here and google and one post I found on here said there aren't even timing marks for the 94 s-10 blazer engine w? I looked for a while and I don't see anything even by the water pump I don't see marks. It did however look like there is a gouge on the AC compressor wheel that could possibly be used. Anyone know what I have to do for timing marks and setting my timing?
-Also for the brown wire I just have to disconnect it right, or does it need to be grounded?
-And what cylinder is cylinder #1?
-And to adjust the distributor for timing I just loosen the 1 bolt at the base of the distributor and then I can freely turn the distributor correct?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Starting Member

So no one has set their timing on a 94 vortec 4.3 engine W? Where the heck are the marks?

If someone could please comfirm what I have read else where that the timing was set from the factory and cannot be changed it would be much appreciated. I can't set my idle so I am guessing I can't set my timming and it appears that way. If this is true why on earth would they lock the timing in place?

Last edited by bertrenolds; 11-25-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There should be a single groove on the balancer OD and a corresponding tang on the timing cover that has a 'V' notch in the end of it. Timing is set to 0 (zero) degrees after disconnecting the tan (or tan w/ black tracer) wire that is just to the passenger side of the transmission tunnel inside the truck under the upper edge of the carpet.

If you have a metal timing cover, the marks should look like the attached. Deepest groove is 0 degrees.

Attached Thumbnails 94 s-10 blazer 4.3 engine W timing marks? and a few other questions-cpi_metal_cover_timing.jpg  
Old 11-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Starting Member

Thanks so much for the pic! I see it now and I have the metal one like the pic. Do you take the air intake off when you set your timing or is there enough room to peak down there and get the light close enough to see the marks? Also, what cylinder is #1, is it the front cylinder on the drivers side?

Last edited by bertrenolds; 11-25-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people end up removing the upper fan shroud & fan from the front of the engine to be able to get at it properly. It can be a pain due to the tight fitment of components on the front of the engine. All depends on how large the timing light is.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Starting Member

Is the #1 cylinder the front cylinder on the drivers side?

Old 11-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Sure is.