1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94 s 10 blazer problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 AM
Beginning Member
matthewq94 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 94 s 10 blazer problems

i just bought the car saturday the 22nd it was fine when i went to see it started right up for me six times, driving it home almost 50 miles the truck didnt want to go over 70 mph and when i put the pedal down it slowed down and loss alot of power, then i got it home and shut it off came back to it an hour later and didnt want to start took a few tries and then i was smelling gas in the drivers seat no gas leak. so now for the last few days it takes a few tries to get her fired up and seems like there is loss of power when i put my foot down. sounds all like a fuel issue to me but i here the fuel pump go on in acessory mode. could it be the sending unit. fuel relay or fuse. clogged filter or is my trans bad it shifts a little ruff but no to bad maybe just needs a flush and filter. i am a amateur mechanic but not nearly good enough to diagnose this too much, i am hoping some one here has this truck and been through some of this and can explain what they have been through and done to correct this problem. also i want to know if this could be the cpi injection but this vin is w vin so maybe i dont have cpi just tbi.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Former Sponsor
go-part is on a distinguished road

I don't think its a fuel issue you are having, it sounds a spark issue. You smell fuel which can be seen as a sign that fuel is getting from the pump to the cylinder, yet you don't have spark to ignite that fuel.

When was the last time the wires, plugs and ignition coil were replaced?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:17 AM
Beginning Member

The guy told me a week prior to sellling it to me it has gotten a tune up. But I will check the wires and plugs. But you will get a laugh out of this the person who had this truck cut out the wheel wells on it to get easier ascess to the plugs should I recover it with something or do you think there's nothing to worry about here

Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Beginning Member

checked all the plugs clean and the wires are firm next step i guess is going into the ignition coil pack and also the distributor. maybe also get to the fuel filter and see i hope this is not the dreaded cpi injection which would suck. but i can get a brand new one for 189. which isnt to bad. any other suggestions i did go to oreillys and the only code that came up was for an oxygen sensor the bank1 sensor 1. but that wouldnt really stop my truck from starting and lack of accelration right.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

its not cpi if you have a fuel smell,well it should at least run. Do this,pull off the plug wire on top of the coil. Now,lay it back on the coil point,but dont push down on it. Have someone spin the engine over and look and listen for the tick. If it archs real good,its not a spark issue. If its a really faint weak spark,replace coil. No spark at all? could be coil,or ignition module or the pickup coil in the distributor. If you have good spark,pull off a few plug wires on the cap. Dont mix em up,but lay em back down like you did with the coil. Now turn engine over a few times. Didnt see any spark? Its either the cap,or rotor since its the only 2 left after the coil.

Its better to do this at night since you can really see the spark well.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

a 94 "should" be a CPI engine

Old 07-05-2013, 01:36 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Typical nut kit leak. Check your oil dipstick, I bet its overfull and reeks of gas.

Do a search on "CPI fuel leak" and read the popular thread for all the answers you need.

Can you fix it at home? Yes with basic tools
How much will it cost? From 50 to 200 dollars depending how much of the CPI you want to replace, sometimes if all that is leaking is the nut kit, you can get away with just that.

If this is the engine you have, then you need to forget the codes for now and fix the fuel leak.

This is a VIN W engine

Dont worry about any of the codes for now, fix the CPI leak.

When you open up a good CPI its nice and black in there with soot EVERYWHERE. This is what a leaky one looks like, notice all the gold areas from being washed with fuel. Chances are its just the nut kit or FPR leaking, but you can get a whole injector unit and hoses and FPR kit for about 200 and do the whole shabang at once.

Attached Thumbnails 94 s 10 blazer problems-34743_10150221241775128_4041318_n.jpg  

Last edited by ohsofly; 07-05-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Beginning Member
Smile thanks

i do have cpi and no its nothing electrical the engine definitely sounds like there is not enough gas if i turn the key a few times and get the fuel pump to go on a few times she starts right up and no problem, but the fuel smell is there it is strong but i got no leaks so i know now for sure i will just get a new cpi spider injection for it and i will install it with my mechanic hopefully tomorrow thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone i do appreciate it.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

When i said its not "cpi" I meant it by i doubt its the spider aka cpi(central port injection). Whoops.

If you do have a bad gas smell then yea,it probably is indeed the spider.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:35 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Ill give my left nut if theres no gold washing inside that plenum... CPI spider is the culprit.

Quick Reply: 94 s 10 blazer problems