1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

ABS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:43 PM
FoxTrota is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS Problem

I recently decided to try and fix my ABS because on several occasions when it was a little wet out i almost lost control when i tried to stop. My friend who is a mechanic told me he could help me fix it fro $100 plus the cost of parts. My other mechanic told me it would cost alot over $2,000.

I was told the sensors often got dirty so i got brake cleaner and cleaned each wheel sensor then all of the wires and connections. Yet, the ABS and brake light still come back on. The light took longer to go on after i started it up which leads me to believe maybe cleaning it worked but one of the sensors could be out? I don't know I'm not a mechanic lol. Should i take the wheels apart completely and remove the rotor, and all of the components? I only sprayed around the opening near the sensor so i don't know if its completely clean.

Where could i acquire an ABS wheel sensor if i need one?, and how much would it cost? I searched around and couldn't find anywhere to buy new sensors. Any other comments, suggestion or information is appreciated

* and for some reason its doubling the '

Old 10-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ABS Problem

Most common cause is a faulty ABS pump. I cannot remember what the site was, but other members have utilized an ABS rebuild service provided through an online store. The price was quite attractive vs getting a new one!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ABS Problem

A new GM 1991 S10 Blazer 4WD ABS Actuatorcost $1300 with a 30% discount! That is where the mechanic got that price. He would probably install a rebuilt ABS Actuatorand charge you for a new one. That is one of theoldest tricks in the mechanics unit costmanual.

Just for reference:
Rebuilt Rayestos ABS Actuator, part #ABS540018 ... $766.00
Raybestos Control Module, part #ABS560001...$120.79
Raybestos Wheel Speed Sensor, left front, part #ABS530458...$100.00
Those can be purchased at NAPA but probably about 10% higher price.

Clean your wheel speed sensors and have a trustworthy mechanicbleed your entire brake system includingthe ABS Actuator on the LF fender before purchasing anything. Don't try to bleed the actuator at home. Take it to a"real" ASE Cetified mechanic who works on brakesas a speciality who has pressure bleeding equipment.Bleeding the ABS actuator isnot for apart timer.

Asoft pedal is normal at least it is for a 1991 S10 Blazer SUV with 4wd ABS. My 1991 S10 Blazer 4-dr., 4WD SUV hasa soft brake pedal that goes towards the floor closer than I would like but theABS dash light does not illuminate except when Istart the car. The 1991 Chevrolet Chassis Shop Manualsaysit is normal forsteadyfoot pressure on the brake pedal will cause the pedal to slowly move towards the floor. (?) I always tell my wife when she drives my Blazer..."Be careful and remember, it has ABS brakes." ABS = All But Stop.

I was told that if youjump on the ABS brakes on wet or icey pavement,you will force bleed anyair out of the ABS Actuator and into your brake system where it can be easily be bled out. I don't know that for a fact.