1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

aftermarket temp gauge

Old 10-13-2008, 10:50 PM
rogggg1020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default aftermarket temp gauge

i hooked up an after market temp gauge tonight,should have hooked it up to the warning buzzard or the engine coolant temp sensor location???if it goes where the warnning buzzard goes where is it and what does it look like???

Old 10-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: aftermarket temp gauge

By your question, I am assuming that you have an aftermarket electronic temperature gauge. What does the information supplied with the gauge state for requirements of the temperature sending unit? Do you have a factory temp gauge or is it a light? Do you have a high temp buzzer?

With electronic temperature gauges, you have to make sure that the sending unit is appropriate for the calibration of the gauge.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:39 AM

sorry for that, its a sunpro guage it only has one wire{cable} on it other than the gauge light,im assuming i have a high temp buzzard somebody told me i did and they were pointing at one of two plugs in front of my carb one has two wire prong thats not hooked to anything and the other is a small rod sticking up that can move in or out, it came with its own sending unit so i guess its a manual setup

Old 10-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Let me ask a different way... Does it have a spiral wound cable coming out of the back of the gauge and does the other end of this cable have a threaded nut and a bulb looking end on it? If so, this is a mechanical gauge. You will need to punch a hole through the firewall that the temperature probe and nut can fit through and this must be installed into the water jacket on the motor. The easiest place is the side of the cylinder head. There may only be one port per head so you may have to go to the passenger side of the motor.

If it is electric, then you only need to pass through the signal wire. The gauge will have to be grounded.

Do you have a link to the product description on a website somewhere? Product model number? Anything?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 PM

thanks swart its the actron sunpro cp8217 mechanical gauge and it said the hook up to the warning buzzard and i have looked it up and read everything i could but i have not found anything about warning buzzards but somebody told me that there is two sensors or plugs on top of the motor in front of the carb one has a two male connector sticking up on it and the other it has a pretty small rod sticking up that can move in and out well it goes in by pushing it but it comes back out after some time, if the gauge doesnt screw into either of those than what are those sensors or whatever they are??? also i have a electric fuel pump hooked up on this thing and today the motor shut off while running and you can hear the fuel pump almost like a cliking sound and its wires vibrateing with the clicking would that mean the fuel filter is stopped up on it??? thanks again for all the help in the past present i hope and future i hope again lol i almost forgot gonna take some pics tomorrow after doctors and eye doctors and baby doctors so hope that might help some.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 PM

i went to use seafoam and got my engine warm poured 1/3 of the pint in the front barrel with the engine on about 2grand rpm and shut it off waited 5 min and started it again blew smoke badly so gave it some gas took it to about 1500 rpm and the engine died on me again and wouldnt start back im guessing its the fuel filter the last time it did that i waited about 30 min and it started no problem but my battery went dead trying to start it back to get the seafoam out as quick as pos. so does everybody agree thats its my fuel filter like im thinking???or could it be something diff it seems to only happen when my engine is warm??

Old 10-24-2008, 07:49 PM

wouldnt that be the knock sensor on the front side of the cylinder head and wouldnt my temp gauge be on top in front of the carb?????