1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Aiight. my new blazer is being a pita.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:46 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about
Default Aiight. my new blazer is being a pita.

Welp..

the plugs,cap etc was shot to hell. today i replaced the cap,rotor button,plugs ( ngk ftw!),wires,and soaked everything in brake cleaner looking for leaks. Even spent 3 hours cleaning egr.
(I freakin stripped a bolt. fixed it though.)

it stumbles and runs like poo at times at idle. yea,its cpi. Yes i did a pressure test. it hit 62 good,and idles at like 56. Previous owner said he replaced the pump with ac delco.

all i have left to replace is fuel filter,and maybe...MAYBE. the cpi injection.

I did notice my distributor wabbled a lil bit...

ideas? I'm no noobie lol.

So.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Former Sponsor
go-part is on a distinguished road

Have you cleaned out your throttle body?

https://blazerforum.com/forum/gmt-36...le-body-46091/

Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

FPR? Leakdown?

Old 07-30-2013, 01:29 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Alright. Used a GOOD test gauge and made me sad. It pegged 60,held above 55 for a minute or 2 then dropped below 50. I didnt even wait to see how much more as either way somethings leaking.

Im thinking its the pump,as Only time i have a issue is on a hard launch on a incline (going up) or when i turn hard. Fuel slushing around etc. I think if it was the spider it would do it constantly etc. I'm going to go back and get the kit again and hook it up to my fuel filter and CROSS fingers it fails there So its a easy fix. Maybe il get lucky and the fuel hose between the pump and sending unit is cracked. .50 cent fix.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Crackers is on a distinguished road

IME electrical fuel pumps usually fail completely. Fluctuating pressure IME is usually either an electrical connection (either at the pump or the pigtail connection above the tank) or a regulator issue. With your fuel gauge connected pinch off the rubber fuel return line when the pressure drops with a pair of pliers, if it goes back up immediately its probably not the pump itself. Remember that some pressure drop is normal during initial acceleration, but should only be momentary. And be careful not to damage the rubber line.

If it were consistently low then I'd be more inclined to think its the pump.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:16 PM
BF Veteran

Well,i had a good idea,and removed the Sensor in the center of the manifold (i cant think of what the things called) Anyways,i stuck a flashlight down in there and Sadly,i noticed wash on the passenger side corner. Looks to me the regulator is leaking. Damnit. I hope its just the regulator and nothing more. Its just a dozen or so bolts,2 screws that hold it on. Hopefully its the regulator and not the spider its self. A regs only like 40 bucks.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Crackers is on a distinguished road

On older vehicles I usually make a habit of pulling apart all the electrical connections checking for corrosion, spraying them all with WD40 and if remember I add a dab of dielectric grease. Saves a lot of future headaches and often if not usually finds a couple issues you didn't even know we're there.

I've spent days before trying to DX an issue that was just a bad connector. Now anything over 10 years old I check connectors first unless something's physically leaking or smoking. LOL

Old 07-30-2013, 03:03 PM
BF Veteran

Yea,well this spider is definitely leaking. Hopefully just the regulator as its just 34.99. I dont have the 175.00 for a complete unit. Id sadly be gambling on one from a yard at that point.

Sad part is,ive had 2-3 of these spiders,and ive either sold em,or given em away to member who needed em. Now that i need one...Im SOL.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:08 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Well if the pass. side is washed the reg is def bad. Weather or not anything else under there is bad is another question. Do the reg, see what happens.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:21 PM
BF Veteran

Yea,i can see the reg side pretty good,but cant really see the driver side,although it does look dirty. So,maybe il get lucky. I guess its better then doing the pump.

Quick Reply: Aiight. my new blazer is being a pita.