1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Another 4x4 Problem Post

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Da_92James is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another 4x4 Problem Post

Ok, so I realize that a lot of ppl have posted about having 4x4 problems and I've been trying to diagnose and having no luck with searching forums..heres what it's doing:

4Hi and 4Lo don't work in any gear
Both blink on the electronic push button for approx. 10-15 seconds
When it gets done blinking there is a clicking sound coming from the pass. side dash.

Vehicle is a 1992 GMC Jimmy 4.3L Z code 4dr, don't know the transmission number...

First I replaced the vacuum actuator underneath the battery tray, which didnt help.
Bout to move onto getting a new transfer case motor, though I'd rather not if it's somthing else...

Now that I read http://www.rsgear.com/articles/1998_03.pdf i think my problem is that i pulled the power acc. circuit breaker, since my rear defrost doesnt work (my CD player does work, though, which is aftermarket), which leads to another problem...
When I first got this vehicle about a year and a half ago, everything worked fine until about 2 wks after I got it, which is when the power locks on both driver and passenger side went out.
At first I replaced the circuit breaker w/ a new one, but it still didnt work...and the circuit breaker was really really hot when i went to pull it out about a min after I started the engine...

When I get back home I'm gonna try it again, but if it does the same thing (locks still dont work, breaker gets hot), would it be a quick fix for the 4x4 if I just pulled the wire for the power doors and put a new circuit breaker in? (since the power locks aren't that neccessary and I just got bout 5" of snow last night so i kinda need the 4x4). Also, what could be the possible problems with the locks to cause them to behave like this (shorted?)?

Someone plz give some opinion on this before I tear into it next week.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Another 4x4 Problem Post

transfer case / encoding motor switch should answer a lot of your questions. Start by reading the codes (if any) stored in the TCCM. You can then back probe the various encoder channel outputs to see if they appropriately switch through their respective states for the given switch position.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Da_92James is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Another 4x4 Problem Post

Ya the fuse fixed the problem w/ the 4x4 but not the door locks...they still behave weird where when the car is on if I hit unlock it does unlock the car but when I hit lock it almost shuts my engine off (makes it sputter real bad)...does this mean its shorted or faulty switches?