1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Another EGR POST

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
bambino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another EGR POST

I have been reading every message regarding an egr problem for the last 24-48 hours and I still cannot find what I'm looking for.
Hope someone here can help out.....
I have an 89 S-10 V-6 4.3
I have all the symptoms of a bad egr but, I'm not sure where it's located on the truck!
I'm really new at wrenching so picture would be really great. I kinda think it might be behind the carb? Looks like a horitontal black saucer shaped thing?
I really kust want to take it apart and clean it out. I bought a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner is this ok to use?
I also got a new O2 sensor but after 5 hours of fighting with the old one I gave up trting to replace it.....
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advnace!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Campesino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Another EGR POST

The saucer shaped thing is the EGR. On mine there are just 2 bolts holding it on there and then the vacuum line that controls it, probably the same on yours. If it's the egr's first time to be taken off it'll probably break the gasket, so be sure to scrape off the bits of old one and get a replacement on there. I used carb/throttle body cleaner on mine, but the MAF cleaner should be alright. Just do your best not to get any of it on the diaphram portion of it.

What kind of symptoms are you getting? Is the engine surging or pinging?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Beginning Member
ddog800 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its going to look like the picture here:

http://www.autozone.com/R,1927071/ve...ductDetail.htm

though on my 86 s10 blz 2.8 its more of a brass/gold-ish color (and dirty! :P). Not 100% about the 4.3, but on my 2.8 TBI it's mounted at the rear of the engine at the top, just behind the throttle body. There is a vacuum line going from the EGR to the regulator (just next to it, also mounted up high, but not on the engine), and another vacuum line going from the regulator to the throttle body. I'm sure the locations won't be exactly the same on your motor, but I'd imagine its significantly similar since your model would use TBI, and after looking up your truck on a few sites it appears your model uses an identical EGR valve and regulator.. I'll snap a picture later on and post it if ya need.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 AM

OK, I think I got it. I'm gonna pull it apart this morning and clean it out. In response to sympotms....I have a weak idle, stalling at idle, service engine light comes on at somewhere around 50mph, some black smoke out the tail pipe and it failed NJ emissions. I just need to get this thing running good and get it through inspection. Jersey is pretty tough. I only paid $1 for the truck, it's a rust bucket but, I'm planning on repairing what I can. Cars shouldn't be disposable in my opinion.

Thanks for the info so far.

Any tips on getting that O2 sensor out?

I ran it hot, sprayed liquid wrench, cursed, yelled etc.....
it will not even budge.....

Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

You may have read what I did to stop the SES light from throwing the infamous Code 32 (EGR valve) . Just in case you did not read my entry, I will restate what I did to get rid of the SES light and Code 32 on my1991 S10 Blazer, 4WD, 4 DR SUV.

The EGR valve is located behind the TBI and is held in position by two studs and nuts, not bolts. That makes it much easier to reinstall the gasket and EGR valve, if you decide to do it.I felt like myEGR valve was good but the pentel in the EGR valve wasoccasionallystickingbecause of carbon deposits and sending a signal to the ECM which turned on the SES indicator. I came to that conclusionbecausethe SES (Code 32) only appearedwhen I cruised at a constant speed aboive 70 MPH for about two or three miles. When I stopped the vehicle and turned off the ignition for 10 seconds, the SES light went out and did not reappear until I againdrove the vehicle above 70 for a couple ofmiles.That is quite common for 4.3L engines with high milage, mainly because of the old hard and leaking valve seals. I purchased anew 1993 GMC Sonoma and the valve seals were leaking and blowing blue exhaust smoke on start up after31,000 miles.

In order to make the engine SES light stay out and quit throwing Code 32, I made a full throttle acceleration up to 80 MPH and drove the vehicle forno less than 20 miles between 70 and 85 MPH. Each time theSES light came on, I pulled over turned the ignition off for 10 seconds. I did that three timesand the SES light quit coming on and has neverreappeared.

Thatblew the carbon deposits out of the EGR passages. If I drive at slow speeds around the city for a couple of months, I will have to go through thesame procedure again. The police have done used that procedure to blow the carbon out of their slow drivingpatrol cars for decades. On the later model cars,the EGR valves will cause the SES light to appear and let you know when it is time to do it again.

Most people chug around a slow speed all the time with thelittle V6 engines to get good gas milageand thatcan causeproblems with carbon build up.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Update:
I got the valve off....
It's not sticking at all but it was really dirty and clogged up with hard carbon. I have it soaking now. Also, the vacum line on the valve was severed....a clean cut. This was probablly causing the valve to not work at all correct? Some oil came out of the valve when I turned it upside down. Not sure what that is all about. I'm getting ready to reassemble the valve and hose now.
I'll probably take it out for a spin at highway speeds to try and blow all the carbon out.
Thanks again for all the help. I'll keep those intrested updated.
Stay tunned!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

Checking the vacuum lines from the EGR valve to the EGR valve vacuum solenoid and MAP sensor is the first thing you should have done.However,you did not know that. It is likely that you would not have had to remove the EGR valve if you had found that severed line first. With the vacuum line loose, the EGR valve was not sending a signal to the EGR solenoid and MAP sensorand that is why the SES Code 32 light was on. The 1996 -up models have EGR valves that areelectrically monitored for that veryreason.

Just for future reference: 1987-1995 4.3L S10-Blazer.
Wells EVS10EGR solenoid.....$49.99 Autozone
GM 10137639 EGR Solenoid...$58.48 (AC Delco 214-365)

GM 12569240 MAP sensor...$40.74 (AC Delco 213-1545 ) "240" indicated on sensor.
Wells SU105 MAP senosr.... $39.99 Autozone

There is nopointin running at high speed to blow the carbon out and risk a traffic ticket (or worse) until the the engine "SES" you should.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:43 PM

runs much better now...
lol
hard to believe that little hose was causing all those problems.
Also just changed fuel filter.
Now to get that stupid O2 sensor out!