1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Anyone replace the transmission in a '91 s10 Blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:43 PM
TomSawyer is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone replace the transmission in a '91 s10 Blazer?

I tried looking up threads on this subject for some time but didn't come up with much for some reason. I also hope this is the right forum for this question. I figured you first generation fellas would have some helpful input.
I need to rebuild my tranny (700R-4) and found just the man for the job. I've pulled and replaced transmissions before and know that some vehicles can be difficult while others are fairly simple. I've never pulled and replaced one out of a Blazer and wondered what pointers would be helpful for a '91 model with the 4.3L. It's 2 wd so that should simplify it some. I have a Chilton's manual and have read that the transmission-to-engine bolts can be difficult to access and withdraw due to the close proximity of the cowl sheet metal. It discusses a procedure for jacking the body from the frame if necessary. If anyone has experience he would like to share I would be greatful. I'm sure I'll have questions about adjusting the TV cable upon install. Thanks.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:13 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I've done it a couple of times and have never jacked the body up on any of them. Just use a few extensions with swivels on an impact. A 3 inch BL makes it where you have enough room to put the impact up in the tunnel and get directly on most all the bolts lol.

After its out if you can fold and hammer the lip back where the trans tunnel and firewall meet it makes life easier next time.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:22 PM

Thanks. Unfortunatly I don't have a lift kit on my truck so I'm not sure if that'll work or not. Another method I've heard works is to lift the engine from the front while loosening the motor mounts. I don't know. We'll see. Is there enough room to even unscrew the bolt entirely before it hits the cowling?

Old 02-14-2010, 02:31 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yeah its kinda a bugger to get the 2 top bolts. I do them with a ratchet and 2.5 foot extention, I find the impact likes to jump off the bolts and strips them off some. You can try jacking up on the crank pulley a little but it wont make much more room. We have taken them out just as it sits, just have a couple beers to calm you down first and get on it then, its going to make you angry! And use your hand tools for the tough ones so you dont wreck the bolt heads. I found that putting those 2 bolts in the holes on the transmission and siliconing them to stay there, THEN boosting the trans up into place was alot easier, then you dont have to reach up there to start the bolts, they are already there, just put the socket on and run them in. Putting it back is easier cause you can trim off the body lips like the above poster said.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:07 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TomSawyer
Thanks. Unfortunatly I don't have a lift kit on my truck so I'm not sure if that'll work or not. Another method I've heard works is to lift the engine from the front while loosening the motor mounts. I don't know. We'll see. Is there enough room to even unscrew the bolt entirely before it hits the cowling?

Yeah the first 4 I done didn't have lifts on them. This blazer is the first 4x4 I've owned and its started to spoil me. The bolts will come out before it hits the firewall.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:11 PM

O.K. Thanks for the info and suggestions. Hope to get it stared in a couple of days. Thanks again.