1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Ball joints or Torsion Bar??

Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM
tydaug is on a distinguished road
Default Ball joints or Torsion Bar??

I'm the proud owner of an '89 s10 Blazer. 4.3 TBI Motor in PERFECT condition. (I bought it from this guys grandma there were oil change records in the glove box, she bought it new) So the problem.... When i go around a turn and hit bumps, the front end knocks bad. If i'm going in a straight line I could jump it and it won't knock. Advance said it good be ball joints, and a mechanic mutterred something about torsions bars. I lifted front end and couldn't see anything moving when trying to move the wheel around, but then again, the wheels were pointing straight. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:37 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it matter which direction you turn?
Get it up on jackstands not a jack you need to push and pull pretty hard.

Try moving the top of the wheel in and out while watching the ball joints. Any little amount is exaggerated once the weight of the vehicle is on them.

I'd also check the front sway bar bushings, pitman and carrier arms and tie rod ends.

I don't know everything but I've not seen or heard anybody mention torsion bars as a culprit for front end noise. Doesn't mean it can't be true though I guess.

Four wheel drive? Could be CV joints.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:21 AM
tydaug is on a distinguished road

Doesn't matter which way I turn. It is 4x4 but it doesn't tick when turning, so I don't think it's cv joints. I'll check it out on stands this evening.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Blazercrazy is an unknown quantity at this point

CV are the only thing that would really knock on corners, I had horrible ball joints a week ago (mechanic said they pretty much fell off) and they never made a sound