1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Better Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member
seanpconley is on a distinguished road
Default Better Gas Mileage

Well I have a 94 s10 W series> Good working Blazer, A/C, power windows, heat smooth idle many new parts i.e Plugs, wires, FPR, spider, fuel pump radiator, brakes, recently cleanded EGR, Ignition coil etc. I know my buddy replaced my gas tank over the summer and he got one from another vehicle but not the same tank as the one that was in there. The fuel pump assembly makes a humming noise kinda like it's vibrating on metal. the reason? because he said that the one he put in has a metal cylinder that houses the fuel pump vs being open. maybe I'm not getting an accurate reading from the float? Anyway I put 10 bucks of gas in it and get 40 miles before the needle is on E. then I can go 10 more miles but have a feeling I could run out of gas at any minute but it never does. So that equals 17 MPG right there. For some reason a quarter tank of gas the needle moves way to fast. If this is accurate however is there anything I can do to get even better MPG"s Do those tornado things work or is there a good air intake that would definitely work? I know proper inflated tires helps but not going to make a huge difference. Thanks for reading

Old 12-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Beginning Member
Kainon is on a distinguished road

FILL the tank.. hit the reset button on your trip odometer, go 280 miles

18g X 16 (avg) = 288

the tornado things, well my brother said it helped him ( 1999 Chev. Avalanche ) but who knows.. I'm sure you've wasted more money worse ways, I know I have.

buy the 89 oct, instead of the 87 oct. check your tire pressure etc... etc.. there's a lot of things you can do to help keep the MPG up.

can buy a more economical car too :-)

good luck.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Beginning Member
seanpconley is on a distinguished road

I definitely have especially not owning any voltmeters or pressure gauges it's all guess work. I know I have replaced things just to replace them. In your opinion does the 89 burn slower? or is it a fact?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do some searching around here. This topic has been covered in great detail before.

There is no miracle cure. Tornado's are a gimmick. A lot of people want to believe they work while at the same time changing their driving habits to make them work.

The only way to determine your true mileage is by resetting your trip meter when you fill up and only fill the tank until the pump shuts off. Over filling your tank can saturate the evap canister and cause problems. Next time you fill up, record the mileage and how much fuel you put back into the tank. Miles driven divided by gallons used equals your miles per gallon. For example, if you drive 150 miles and the pump shuts off after pumping 10 gallons, the result is 15 miles per gallon.

As far as the rest, read up because it's all been discussed before.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Beginning Member
Kainon is on a distinguished road

all i know about 87 - 89 oct is when I use it ( and not just from putting 1 tank full either at least 2-3 tanks before I really notice a difference ) I know that I feel a difference in how the engine runs when it's hot out, less engine ping, a little more oommff.. and smoother idle

and from what I understand, fuel manufacturers dont put as much cleaner in the 87 oct as they do the 89 and 92/93 oct.