1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Blazer died on real hot day going up slight hill

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer died on real hot day going up slight hill

I had my first shock of my 1993 s10 4 door 4.3L blazer die on me while driving up a slight hill. It was 102 outside. Everything on the instrument panel looked fine. The engine did seem a little hot but the digital guage says 200. All fluid levels was fine.

1. It just died. If it wasn't for the fact my exhaust it mostly disconnected. I would have never noticed it.

2. Tried to start. Engine would turn but nothing else.

3. Waited about 2 minutes and it would try but nothing.

4. After about 5 minutes it started like nothing and since then (1 week later) No issues.

I also heard the fuel pump make noise like it is suspose to when turning the key to on.

No check engine light

Tidbits:

Me and my brother gave it a tune up about 2 months ago. He did a half **** job so I won't let him do it again. But I did ther pvc valve, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, might have been a few other things. Can't remeber.

The person I purchased it from said the replaced the fuel pump and filter. But about 1 month after I got it the fuel pump became noisey. Then about 1 month ago was quiet again. Then again they used autozone parts. YUCK.

They also replaced the spider fuel injector to. They said before that it would eat gass and smell like gass. My mpg last time I checked was around 18. I did not smell anything like gass just hot.

side note:

I have a upper radiator hose collapsing. I replaced the radiator cap and hose. It still collaps. I'm thinking thermastat next and thinking maybe that is the issue. However the digital dash put my temp around 200. I don't normally see it go above 200. I would have thought that day it would have. But on a normal day it is below 200 but like 1 bar or so.

I'm also thinking about doing the fuel filter or at least check to see if it looks newer. You know write down the numbers to see if it is a autozone part. But I have been busy this week.

Thanks for any help,

Josh

Old 08-27-2010, 01:48 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

I would replace your thermostat, sounds like it might be sticking and not circulating the coolant like it should. Might want to flush and replace your coolant, depending how long ago it was done last.

Your temp gauge or sending unit also might be going. To me it sounds like the truck cut off from overheating and once it cooled down a bit it started back up. That the temp was actually higher then 200. Was there any steam or overflow tank bubbling, that would suggest overheating? Buts that my 2 cents, I could be wrong and someone correct me if I am.