1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Bravada Oil Leak part 2?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member
nsomnia_redline is on a distinguished road
Angry Bravada Oil Leak part 2?!?!

ok so i fixed the oil sensor and it stopped leaking. now i developed a huge new leak and have pics of where its coming from and a video. dose any one know what this is?

video is uploading to my myspace. for those that cant watch the vid. in the pic it shows a cylinder with a nut. at the base of the cylinder is oil pooling. dose not apear to be coming from any more above then that. thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If I am filling in the blanks around that picture (too tight to be sure), it looks like you are looking at the remote oil filter adapter at the block. On a 2wd, the oil filter would be located right there, but since the front differential would interfere with an oil filter in that location, they put an adapter to direct oil to the remote filter (location dependent on year of the vehicle since you did not state it...).

It could be a problem with the seals to the block or the seals between the adapter and the oil lines. If you were going to do one, do them both.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Beginning Member
Old 05-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Beginning Member

my bad for not giving you the info. i was in a hurry to post that.

1992 olds bravada AWD. oil filter is located behind the driver head light. so what your saying is that its a secondary filter or its just a place for one? also how much work would be involved with fixing those seals?

more pics

Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It really is not that difficult to change the seals, but space is at a premium down there. That video shows that it is leaking from around the seal between the block and the adapter.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member

did you happen to see the video? it shows the leak really well. maybe it will be more helpful. yeah i see that space is vary limited down there. sucks but hopefully that's what it is for sure.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Yep, saw it, even commented on it above. LOL

Old 05-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Beginning Member

it was leaking bad, about 4 qs a day. got it fixed now. it was a $12 part and $1 for 2 o rings and almost $200 in labor. the guy that drove it back cam back and pulled me out and showed me that there was a trail.... a line if you will of oil straight to the lift. thats right not lil oil dots but a solid line!!! damn that was a close one.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Glad you got it fixed, but $200 in labor!! I hope they used that leaking oil to lube you up...?

Old 05-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Beginning Member

yeah that was an impulse.... probably wont happen again.