1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Cannot undo Fuel Filter coupling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
britishich is on a distinguished road
Default Cannot undo Fuel Filter coupling?

Good afternoon folks

One of the fittings on my fuel filter (hard line to filter coupling) refuses to break loose...the other comes off ok...
I have tried overnight soaking in PB blaster etc to no avail...

I figured I could just replace the section of line behind it (so I don't have to undo it at all) but everywhere I look for fuel line the "correct" piece is a straight hard-line, but the stock line on the truck has a bend or two in it??

So, any ideas on how to "crack" that coupling so I can replace the filter? or
Where can I get the CORRECT, bent hard line to replace that instead?
(No I am not willing to put a blow torch on a fuel line as a friend of mine suggested! LOL)

Any help would be appreciated - I have had the new filter for months and just gave up on replacing it LOL

Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by britishich
Good afternoon folks

One of the fittings on my fuel filter (hard line to filter coupling) refuses to break loose...the other comes off ok...
I have tried overnight soaking in PB blaster etc to no avail...

I figured I could just replace the section of line behind it (so I don't have to undo it at all) but everywhere I look for fuel line the "correct" piece is a straight hard-line, but the stock line on the truck has a bend or two in it??

So, any ideas on how to "crack" that coupling so I can replace the filter? or
Where can I get the CORRECT, bent hard line to replace that instead?
(No I am not willing to put a blow torch on a fuel line as a friend of mine suggested! LOL)

Any help would be appreciated - I have had the new filter for months and just gave up on replacing it LOL
You did the first step. PBB. Now squeeze the nut with vise grips on as many sides as you can get to. Just good healthy hard pressure, not squeeze all your might.

That fails.. a tubing wrench {looks like a 'box end' with a cut-out. } And a strap wrench around filter. PB it again, squeeze it again.
That doesnt work.. put flat of hammer behind nut, smack opposite side of nut with second hammer. Probably can only do that with one set of the three sides but it very often works.

When oyu install new filter use anti-seize on it after you cleqan up surfaces and threads.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-01-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

you can just leave the line alone and unscrew the fuel filter off of it and screw it back on, you can buy the fuel line repair kit and either bend it or cut it to work

Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 AM
britishich is on a distinguished road

Thanks petty - the squeeze idea seems like it might be enough to crack it, I'll give that a try.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I always use a flare nut wrench on all tubing nuts. I have rounded too many nuts otherwise.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Starting Member
InsanePyro is on a distinguished road

I just got back from NAPA after Autozone sold me the wrong tubing for the OEM filter.

Anyways NAPA has a filter where you just put it on with rubber hose and rad clamps

Old 02-02-2012, 02:42 PM
cardoc25 is on a distinguished road

i know this sounds crazy but try a heat gun. obviously make sure that the other line is closed (the one that u were able to get off). before that, take a BRASS wire brush (as it will not produce sparks)(a steel one will do if u have nothing else) and try to clean the rusty outside threads as well as behind the flared fitting and heat it up. while it is hot, try using a little bit of brake fluid as a penetrant. ive found this to work well on stubborn rusted brake lines as well as GM's lovely rust nightmare fuel connections.
Patience is the key(i know its not easy) but try. Good luck

Old 02-03-2012, 04:42 AM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

LMCtruck has the line that leads from the tank to the filter. I just replaced mine recently, and their part was a perfect fit. I had to make my own line to go from the filter to the front of the truck (both of mine were shot) but you say you only need the rear one.

The straight piece they are trying to sell you is just the fitting that goes into the fuel filter, so that you can use a compression fitting or flare fitting to tie into either the existing line further from the filter or into your own custom-bent line.

A really easy job, provided the line comes off of the fuel sender assembly without breaking the sender-side.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 AM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Rockauto also sells it, but it comes with both the supply and return lines.

1994 CHEVROLET S10 BLAZER Fuel Line