1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

center console measurement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Beginning Member
urbex is on a distinguished road
Default center console measurement

Looking for a height measurement on the higher of the two center consoles offered in the S10. I know i have the short one, and it's approx 9.5 inches tall. I'm starting the design of my custom replacement console, and remember having the taller one in my last truck which was just about the right height for me.

Specifically looking for a measurement from the top of the arch in the back where it fits over the driveshaft hump to the top of the arm rest.

EDIT: This is specifically for the 1st gen trucks. Also, the width of the forward part of the Bravada console would be handy too. Thanks guys!

Last edited by urbex; 12-13-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Pretty sure its like 2 inches taller. I'll try to remember to measure mine tomorrow. I have both, swapped out the short one in my 87 for one out of a 94.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:46 PM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 1994 s10 blazer. I have the

27 1/2 inches long
7 1/2 inches wide
11 1/2 inches tall

My measurements are for the box only, not from the hump

Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by urbex
EDIT: This is specifically for the 1st gen trucks. Also, the width of the forward part of the Bravada console would be handy too. Thanks guys!
kinda figure out the first part-since you did post it in the 1st gen section.

what are you refering to in the later part of that statement? are you talking about the tray that sits on the hump infront of the console?

if you are, they didn't only come in the Olds, we took one out of a 2WD Blazer that we grabbed the driveline out of for my brother's Dime build years ago.

i'll measure the height of the console tomorrow.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry...I think it's still stuck in my mind that I was posting on one of the s-series forums...I remember a post in the first gen section about posting pics of the trucks, and out of 100 some odd posts, I think I counted a total of 4 or 5 first gen trucks. The rest were all 2nd gen trucks, and when someone questioned it, the response was basically "well they're still Blazers...WTF is the problem?"

In short, my bad :P

As for the Bravada console, it's my understanding that the consoles that came in the Bravadas were specific to those trucks. It's not just a separate tray, rather it's a completely different full console. As seen here: (not my truck, just something I pulled off of Google Images)

That section in the front where the cupholders bows out, ends up being quite a bit wider than the rest of the console.

The part of the hump I was referring to was the very rear of the console where the arm rest is at, is arched to fit over the trans/driveshaft tunnel. At least on my current console, the driver's side of the console comes down about an inch farther than the passenger side, so that if you were to measure the height on the driver's side it would be a different dimension than the same on the passenger side. So I figured measuring from the top of the arch would make for the most consistent/accurate measurements.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by urbex
As for the Bravada console, it's my understanding that the consoles that came in the Bravadas were specific to those trucks.

sorry, that would be me who was wrong (it does happen once in a very blue moon ).

that is a nice looking consloe, but kinda low (from the looks of it). why not just sit in the seat, and have someone measure up to where you would like the top to be, and then record that size? makes the most sense to me, since you're going for the "full custom" look.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
that is a nice looking consloe, but kinda low (from the looks of it). why not just sit in the seat, and have someone measure up to where you would like the top to be, and then record that size? makes the most sense to me, since you're going for the "full custom" look.

That's pretty much what I did, although I measured myself. Problem is that I can't really relax my arm hanging in the air, lol. I'm just looking at other consoles that I know I've had experience with as reference points. Like I know from sitting in Bravadas, I can go a couple inches wider in the front than the OEM console, but without knowing how wide it is, I don't really know what my absolute dimensions should be around. I also know that the taller S10/Blazer console was pretty close to ideal for me, but again, without knowing the dimensions of that one...

Like I said, just all reference points. I suspect that I'll probably have to build up two or three of these consoles to get perfect dimensions anyways.