1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Digital dash issues

Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Beginning Member
cdxhizors is on a distinguished road
Default Digital dash issues

I'm new here so I don't know if I'm posting this in the right section or not.. I've got a 93 jimmy sle which has the awesome digital dash. I know I can send it off to get it fixed but I was hoping to try it myself since I know quite a bit about electrical work. Right at the moment I'm battling the remote filter oil lines leaking..gotta replace those in the next few days.

The dash works great other than the odometer...When I first bought it the guy told me it had 100k but on the drive home it kicked on and it had 150k..bummer. But then it turned off. I used to be able to smack the dash and it would flick on...and i could use it and the trip for a few minutes..it seems to still be counting but just not want to display all the time. Seems like the screen has a lose connection. I just wanna see if anyone can give me tips before I dive into this? I tore it apart once to replace the redline and gear light bulbs.

I really appreciate any help or tips!!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:55 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

bad solder joints, pull it apart, and locate the solder points for the odometer on the board. and go over it with some fresh solder.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
bad solder joints, pull it apart, and locate the solder points for the odometer on the board. and go over it with some fresh solder.
Thanks, that's kinda what I thought it would be. Im hoping someone who did it before or had it apart before would be able to share some pictures of what the board looks like before I tear it apart.

On a side note...Your Jimmy looks ALOT like mine..mine's only a 2 door but your's is clean. It took a while to find mine. I didn't want any rust and when I found mine I was surprise on how clean it was. No rust anywhere. Garage kept. hard to find 93's that look like ours!!

Old 11-29-2013, 05:09 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I have had mine apart, but did not get photos. if you know about electronics, it should be pretty straight forward.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
I have had mine apart, but did not get photos. if you know about electronics, it should be pretty straight forward.
Alright thanks! I appreciate it alot.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran

Not a problem. it should fix it.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:53 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

if you give up,il sell you mine for 65 shipped. I HATE these digital things. analog ftw.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:58 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by chris015
if you give up,il sell you mine for 65 shipped. I HATE these digital things. analog ftw.
analog FTL

Old 11-29-2013, 07:19 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

pshh analog for the winnnnnnnn. Only thing i hate is the bouncy gas gauge.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:27 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

get your analog and shove it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Digital dash issues