1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Distributor problems...?

Old 06-25-2015, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member
WonkyWilla is on a distinguished road
Default Distributor problems...?

i have a 1989 blazer, 4.3L 4x4. Me and a buddy went and started doing work on it, new plugs and wires, replaced fuel and air filters along with an oil change about a month ago and last week did the water pump and installed a new distributor(with new everything inside the cap) new belt and coil. Got it running right off, test drove it down the street and as I pulled back in it stalled and won't start anymore. Its definitely trying. We thought it was a vacuum leak only to realize... Nope. Checked lines (there's a vacuum line going to the trans that was previously cut and plugged but it was like that before I picked it up and did run) cleaned the tbi when we initially did the tune up, it sprays conical as it should, getting spark and air just won't start. It starts turning over then burps and doesn't. I'm not 100% we lined up the distributor perfectly when we installed but I have no clue how to figure that out or does it matter? We've lined up the rotor to first on the compression stroke unless we're not doing it right - hooked up a compression gauge til it jumped bumping the starter and the rotor does sit @ first. It's been running rich been getting 12 mpg on this bad boy and everything we removed was in fact factory parts. Still seems to be running rich but can't get it running to adjust anything. Is it possible were 180 out? It's sitting at my buddy's house right now and won't have time to work on it til tomorrow afternoon. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

/edit I still have the old parts in my truck and I'm this close to just swapping out to see if it changes anything. Multimeter broke as well in the middle of this (I'm sure it works but the screen sure doesn't!) I just feel like I'm missing something super stupid and I can't for the life of me figure this out (also should add former tech, not just backyard mechanic here) been staring at the chiltons manual making my eyes want to bleed out.

Last edited by WonkyWilla; 06-25-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not exactly sure of the procedure for the older TBI motors, but on the newer CPI motors, you had to disconnect the brown (or possibly tan with black stripe) wire that is just to the passenger side of the transmission tunnel below the top edge of the carpet inside the truck. Then you will be able to use a conventional timing light connected to the #1 plug wire to set the base timing to zero degrees (some have better luck at 2 degrees advance which is in the counter-clockwise direction when looking at the front of the engine) and lock the distributor down.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I'm not exactly sure of the procedure for the older TBI motors, but on the newer CPI motors, you had to disconnect the brown (or possibly tan with black stripe) wire that is just to the passenger side of the transmission tunnel below the top edge of the carpet inside the truck. Then you will be able to use a conventional timing light connected to the #1 plug wire to set the base timing to zero degrees (some have better luck at 2 degrees advance which is in the counter-clockwise direction when looking at the front of the engine) and lock the distributor down.
Found that one wire with a connector in the middle. Tried that too (no difference won't turn over) but now that you said 2degree advance I think we had it retarded a bit, got the timing marks between the two lines but the second one was right near the scale. I can't get it to run much less warm up (manual says to let it warm up for 20 min) is that going to be an issue? Running rough or not if I can just get it to run I can time the thing in like five minutes.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt you are 180 out if it was running fairly well to begin with.

What made you swap the whole distributor? Its possible there was a defect with the new replacement.

And by "won't turn over" you mean that it will not fire, correct?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member

The old one was the original and there was enough rust in it (everything metal had rust on it in the cap) for me to want to just go ahead and replace the whole thing it was running rough when we got it going which was why I attempted to get it to warm up so we could time it it just didn't keep running that long. After staring at the manual and rechecking everything touched I'm actually thinking it might be the module inside of it as that was the only thing that theoretically could be holding it up. So pretty much tomorrow I'll be installing the old module and if it runs I get to replace the distributor again (I bought it as one complete part and I should have known better since this is what happens to me 90% of the time)

Old 07-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Beginning Member

Had to wait til it cooled down here (90+ degrees fun times) went back made sure all plugs are clipped in (no change) but came to realize the motor is flooding, let it sit for a bit adjusted the distributor around and bam runs like nothing ever happened. It was the damn timing marks throwing everyone off...three of them?? Pulled the wire under the dash, it popped a code but when we hooked it back up it ran like new, code was gone. Most of the issues it was having (like randomly stalling out pulling into a parking spot or the random missing) long gone. Now off to do the phantom wiper issue and think the horn/radio relay crapped out during this (the stock radio has never been replaced in this truck but the clock does light up when you push the button just won't turn on but again even that has had some random stuff going on as well) thanks everyone

Old 12-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Starting Member
Whit526 is on a distinguished road

Hey I'm new to this site and American cars and trucks in general and basically have zero knowledge of engines. I just bought a 89 blazer k5 about two weeks ago and I know it's old and it's going to have problems just was hoping it waited a Lil longer. I was driving down the road and everything cuts off, engine power steering everything. Came to a stop went to go start it again. Everything seems to be working except it won't crank over. Battery is fine, starter is doing its job along with the alternator, yet it still won't turn over. I'm literally at a loss of words and have no idea what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW you're going to have to break it down Barney style basically I know alot about bodies and suspension when t comes to engine and electrical I don't know crap. Again any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:14 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Whit526
Hey I'm new to this site and American cars and trucks in general and basically have zero knowledge of engines. I just bought a 89 blazer k5 about two weeks ago and I know it's old and it's going to have problems just was hoping it waited a Lil longer. I was driving down the road and everything cuts off, engine power steering everything. Came to a stop went to go start it again. Everything seems to be working except it won't crank over. Battery is fine, starter is doing its job along with the alternator, yet it still won't turn over. I'm literally at a loss of words and have no idea what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW you're going to have to break it down Barney style basically I know alot about bodies and suspension when t comes to engine and electrical I don't know crap. Again any help would be appreciated.
STRONGLY recommend making sure everything has power to it. These trucks are pretty notorious for having loose/ corroded wires. 99% of the issues I've had/ have are due to just this. If it won't crank at all make sure the starter has power going to it and also check the ignition AND ground wires. Also strongly recommend getting a repair manual so you can locate these wires. Good luck!!

Old 09-04-2018, 12:08 PM
1stchevy is on a distinguished road
Default Timing Issue

Originally Posted by WonkyWilla
Had to wait til it cooled down here (90+ degrees fun times) went back made sure all plugs are clipped in (no change) but came to realize the motor is flooding, let it sit for a bit adjusted the distributor around and bam runs like nothing ever happened. It was the damn timing marks throwing everyone off...three of them?? Pulled the wire under the dash, it popped a code but when we hooked it back up it ran like new, code was gone. Most of the issues it was having (like randomly stalling out pulling into a parking spot or the random missing) long gone. Now off to do the phantom wiper issue and think the horn/radio relay crapped out during this (the stock radio has never been replaced in this truck but the clock does light up when you push the button just won't turn on but again even that has had some random stuff going on as well) thanks everyone
I m having issues with timing.Does anybody have a pic of this brown wire on the passenger to disconnect?Found a big one with multiple blue and brown wires on it.