1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Edelbrock Performer causing low oil pressure?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Starting Member
NCSurvival is on a distinguished road
Default Edelbrock Performer causing low oil pressure?!

6 months ago I installed an Edelbrock Performer intake on my S10 Blazer. Just about everything on my engine is high performance. Never had oil pressure issues until right after this was installed. Everything was done properly, chip installed in the ECU, no other issues. When my truck is started, I have about 60-70 psi. While driving I get about 60 psi. Oil pressure is great until I reach operating temp, then oil pressure drops when I come to a stop down to 20 psi. I do have a high output oil pump. Not sure if this is caused by the intake upgrade, or whether or not viscosity of oil is breaking down after warmed up. Either way, it's worrisome. Truck does not lose power or anything. Only difference in intake appearance wise is the EGR being up front, rather than behind the throttle body. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Starting Member

Man, what happened to this site?! Used to be that folks would answer threads all the time, but now.... Bump for help.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:49 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Maybe nobody knows the answer

Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe there is no problem here that requires an answer other than everything is A-OK.

An intake should not have any affect on oil pressure what so ever.

Now, nothing about the pressures you stated look troublesome to me. 20psi at idle, in gear, and up to operating temp is over double the minimum requirement per GM specs (8psi being the minimum for an engine at idle, no load, at temperature). Per GM specs, you should see roughly a 10psi gain in pressure per 1000RPM over idle up to a maximum of ~60psi, again at full operating temperature. This info has been posted in numerous oil pressure related threads in the past as I am confident that a search would show.

We all have lives outside of the forum that we must attend to first and foremost. If you don't like the response time, why not become part of the solution? Or you could criticize us for not helping you when a simple 'bump' would have sufficed. Good way to help your case in the future...

Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Starting Member

I'm going to switch back to the factory intake soon enough. When I do, I'm going to take detailed before and after video of what the gauges show. Been working on these S10s now for years. Would love to show that the oil pressure and engine behavior changes upon switch. Thanks. And if you mean becoming a part of the solution as answering other unanswered threads, then why don't ya take a look? I did. I do whenever I get on the site. And I wasn't trying to be negative either. I do appreciate any info I find in these forums.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:41 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Aside from the oil pressure, were there any benefits to switching to the edelbrock performer intake manifold? I and a friend have been considering doing the same swap.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:33 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Very sorry I didnt answer sooner! The only anomaly that I could correlate to an imtake change would be distributor height and the main oil galley causing an internal oil leak

Old 05-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by LeWhite
Very sorry I didnt answer sooner! The only anomaly that I could correlate to an imtake change would be distributor height and the main oil galley causing an internal oil leak
THANK YOU! Now that answer makes total sense!

Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by bigkhans
Aside from the oil pressure, were there any benefits to switching to the edelbrock performer intake manifold? I and a friend have been considering doing the same swap.
Supposedly a one second increase in 0-60 time other than that, I am not too happy with the swap. Going back to OEM soon. If you're looking to buy the intake, I will let you have the intake and prom chip for $50 plus shipping.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:28 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Ok, thanks for getting back to me on this subjec. I am happy with the way my engine runs and performs, I'm just trying to squeeze a little more mpg out of it. My friend and I have been talking about installing the Edelbrock intake manifold, camshaft, headers and prom chip in search of better performanceand mpg.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Performer causing low oil pressure?!