1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

fire from exhaust/smells horrible/wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM
BradensCreed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fire from exhaust/smells horrible/wont idle

just what it says. 93 with a 4.3 vortec. was coming from a red light and gave it full throttle. hesitated slightly and then accelerated. when i came to the next light 1 mile down the road, it felt as if it was going to stall, shaking the whole vehicle violently. got it to the house as quick as i could. got out of the truck and left it running. the smell was horrbile. i know i know, but its not rotten eggs. in fact it doesnt even smell like gas. i cant descibe it. maybe burnt popcorn? either way i look under the truck and (i have a hole in my muffler) blue flames are just pouring from the hole. it burned 1/4 tank of gas in 42 miles. all im asking is, could it be the fuel pressure regulator? throttle position sensor? just gimme an idea so i have somewhere to start. thank you in advance.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: fire from exhaust/smells horrible/wont idle

Fuel leak under the plenum. My first guess would be the FPR.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:08 PM

that was my first guess as well. judging from what I've read these are prone to failure? I've never smelled anything like this. its almost the rotten egg smell like a clogged cat but so much more strong, and not quite eggy if you can follow. just rancid and it lingers for HOURS. cat is certainly not clogged though with 8 inch blue flames just pouring from the exhaust.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM

can anyone give me a quick write up on how to remove the fpr? im getting one tonight and ive never messed with anything on this truck before. i read the haynes manual but i dont even know what this looks like. im getting a reman. one from O'Reillys for under $50. and the guy said it even comes with the tool?! im lost.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

The tool is a torx security bit (has a hole in the center for the corresponding pin on the screw) - you will need a bit driver to use it.

Here is a write-up with photos:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=503238

The photos will show as question marks - if you right-click on it and choose open in new tab (or window), you will see them.

And a thorough write-up without pics (though you don't need #16 on if you are just doing the regulator):
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=462726

You will need a Torx T-30 bit for the Vortec cover and a 10mm deep socket for the nuts/studs around the upper plenum.