1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

engine help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:55 PM
iceman1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine help

i have recieved a 1985 2.8 s-10 engine, and i am going to be doing a overhaul/rebuild of the engine and what i would like to do is put fuel rials(fuel injection) on the engine....is this possible? and if so what will i have to do?

Old 03-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: engine help

So you'd like to go MPI and not TBI correct? It's going to be fun, I can assure you that. Your 2.8L now is TBI is it not? You probably can weld injector bungs onto your current intake. You would then probably have to have someone fab up some fuel rails.

Next problem you'll run into is a higher output fuel pump. Your TBI engine doesn't require the pressures that a MPI system requires. And I cannot remember if the old TBI 2.8L was a returnless fuel system or not...

Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 PM

yeah, your right so far...but i thought someone is selling the rails to convert from carb to fuel injection

Old 03-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite possible... I had a feedback carb'd 2.8L in an '85 S10 pickup, but beyond working on that dog, I don't have a bunch of experience with the 2.8L except in passenger vehicles that already had MPI.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:08 PM

there was 1 posting before that i will have to find where he was doing the same thing and he said that all you really have to do is install a fuel filter in the gas tank

Old 03-26-2007, 06:09 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: iceman1987

there was 1 posting before that i will have to find where he was doing the same thing and he said that all you really have to do is install a fuel filter in the gas tank
I am sure he was just talking about the fuel pump. If you are going to switch to MPI fuel injection I would research the possible intakes from the GM 2.8L family and if you can just bolt up the top end (intake, heads etc...) or find an MPI engine to start with. Because you are probably going to need a computer to control the injectors and other sensors, along with the wiring needed to make the swap...

Your current TBI system uses batch fired injectors in a carb style body, the MPI system would fire the injectors as needed and would require a different computer.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the MPI intakes for the 2.8L are on passenger vehicles with DIS?

Old 03-26-2007, 08:42 PM

the air intake is on the driver side...is that what you are talkin bout...is not than what is DIS....?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Administrator

DIS == Distributorless Ignition System

And yes, most of the transverse mount engines (FWD) do have the TB positioned at the back of the engine.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:04 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Fuel injection didn't come to the S-Series until 1986...

'85 is pure carb baby!

an MPFI setup is going to be a pretty nasty job, because you'll have to drill injector holes for each cylinder. You'll need heads at the very least from an MPFI setup, and an electric fuel pump...

It's not worth the hassle trying to MPFI the carbed 2.8.

Steal an MPFI 2.8 from an F-Body, and you will be MUCH better off...

It's still a direct drop in... And you'll only need the fuel pump, and possibly gas tank...