1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Freeze Plugs in 4.3L

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:59 PM
GuyFromWI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freeze Plugs in 4.3L

Hey, I am leaking anti-freeze and I am wondering how many freeze plugs there are. I believe this is where the leak is coming from and hoping I don't have to take out the engine to replace the plugs... Thanks!

Pete

Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Freeze Plugs in 4.3L

There are 2 on each side of the block and two on the front of the block. On the older blocks, there may also be a freeze plug in the back of the engine in the bellhousing area. Run a search for "freeze AND plug" and you should come across some helpful information.

Here is an article that shows the differences in the engine designs:

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar39840.htm

The block pictures show the ones on the front and sides of the engine.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:11 PM
GuyFromWI is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I seen four and wondering if there were anymore. I looked at your other posts about freeze plugs and wondering if there were more then that...

Old 01-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As I have stated, of the freeze plugs that are accessible from the outside, you have 2 in the front (off either side of the water pump - see the picture in the link I posted) and two on each side (the front ones will be under the engine mounts). The 96+ engines do not have the two freeze plugs on the front of the block.

I do not believe there were ever any rear freeze plugs on these engines, but I also cannot find a good picture to tell for sure. If you aren't having any coolant leaking issues within the bell housing at the back of the engine, don't worry about it.