1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

front diff question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:33 PM
93vortecblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default front diff question

ok so i noticed that my front diff seems to be leaking fluid where the left side axle meets the diff. i talked to my friend whom i bought it from and he said (without actually looking at it) it sounds like its probably a bad seal. i searched for it on the forums but didn't really find anything having to do with my years, its a 93 by the way. i'm wondering if this is the case, does anyone know about how hard it is to change it? what kind of gear oil do i use when filling it back up? and any other things i might need to know. thanks in advance for any help!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: front diff question

I agree, it is likely the lip seal on the end of the axle extension tube.

Its a bit time consuming to do, but not all that difficult. I find it easiest to pop the lower ball joint loose and then pull the half shaft out of the axle tube (you'll get a bit of resistance). Then pop the seal out and put in a new one. That can be easier said than done though. You have to be careful with the seal.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:50 PM

thanks man, what exactly should i be careful with when putting the new seal in? also i glanced underneath my truck and didn't see a drain plug to drain all the oil out. is there a way to pop the cover off or do i have to get a suction tool (like i saw in some other threads) and take it all out through the fill hole?

Old 08-18-2008, 06:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you cannot find a drain (may be disguised as a regular bolt), then you will have to use a suction tool and remove it through the fill hole.

When installing new lip seals, you just have to be careful to get them started properly. The lip seal has a fairly rigid sheetmetal body, but given enough persuasion, you can damage it. Just start it square and use a broad tool between the seal and the hammer to spread out the force.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 PM

ok so i'm a bit confused now, upon putting the truck on jackstands and looking everything over. i noticed that the same fluid on my front diff is also all coated on the steering box, the power steering pump, and all the steering lines/abs lines running under the pump. this leads me to believe that it seems as if the power steering is causing my leak, since i don't think a leaking left side axle would shoot up onto the power steering pump? i found the drain plug on the front diff though and when i undid it nothing came out. just figured i'd post on here to see if anyone has any oppnions/advice on what i found out today. thanks in advance for any help!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: 93vortecblazer

ok so i'm a bit confused now, upon putting the truck on jackstands and looking everything over. i noticed that the same fluid on my front diff is also all coated on the steering box, the power steering pump, and all the steering lines/abs lines running under the pump. this leads me to believe that it seems as if the power steering is causing my leak, since i don't think a leaking left side axle would shoot up onto the power steering pump? i found the drain plug on the front diff though and when i undid it nothing came out. just figured i'd post on here to see if anyone has any oppnions/advice on what i found out today. thanks in advance for any help!
You are right on the money... I just went through all of this on my Blazer. Both the lines were replaced along with the pump. I also replaced the Idler Pulley over the AC compressor. It took longer to clean everything up than it did replacing the parts.

Hydraulic fluid is very irritating and ate the paint off of the frame rail, had eaten the Sway Bar Bushing under the pump too.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...51&PTSet=A

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...rtNumber=71404

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...19&PTSet=A

Be sure to get the power steering pulley remover... you CAN NOT remove OR install the pulley without it!!!

Check you bushing the drivers side. Clean the Power Steering Fluid off of as much as you can of the Blazer. Repaint over the exposed area if you are worried about it.

Another tell-tail sign is the slathering of fluid inside the front, driver's side wheel well. Just above the fender brace.

Two hour job with the niece and nephew hanging out... not too bad. Like I said, a bottle of dawn and some tooth brushes will get rid of the mess!

PLEASE NOTE: I used the above pics to show you what I replace one mine and to give you an idea of what you will be going through... However, if your Blazer is engine "W" - for Vortec, then these WILL BE you parts!