1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump question???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 AM
fourplayinmi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump question???

Gotta quick question about the same thing... the guy that I bought mine from replaced the sending unit an pump an now the pumps bad again can I just change out the pump instead of replacing everything or are they all one unit? an what brand should I replace it with ?

I was only getting 23psi w/ a year old pump

sorry... its a 1993 W motor vortec

Old 11-20-2008, 05:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fuel pump question???

You should be able to replace just the pump on this model. Get a good brand of pump and you should not have to replace it again so quickly.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 AM

Okay I can get a Bosch Lifetime warrenty pump from advance for $96.99

or a AC Delco Lifetime from the dealership for $156.99

so are these worth the extra money an actually goin to the dealership?!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Work the dealer over on the price.

On RockAuto.com:
The AC Delco pump (# EP381) sells for $89.89 and requires the strainer (AC Delco # TS7) is an additional $6.50.
The OE Delphi pump (# FE0114) sells for $74.79 and also requires the strainer (AC Delco # TS7) for $6.50 additional.

The only good thing I can see about the Bosch pump is that it includes a new wiring harness with the pump. I am not sure if the AC Delco or Delphi units include the wiring harness.

And yes, I would definitely rather pay a bit more for an AC Delco or Delphi unit than to have to do this job over again in short order due to using aftermarket.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 AM

okay the dealer had to get it from another place it will be in theis afternoon an i'll pick it up in the morning would they even make the effort of matching prices? an should I replace the wiring while i'm at it? I think thats like $9.49 at advance

Old 11-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Administrator

I would at least have the wiring on hand.

And they should make an effort to come down on the price a bit. My dealership parts counter guys expect me to haggle with them on price. When I purchased the MFI spider for my old 2000 Bravada, they quoted me close to $400 for the spider. I paid under $300 for it because I told them I would just buy it from someplace else if they could not do any better. Since you have already ordered it, it may be more difficult... But it is worth trying!

The OE part number for the pump is 25163473 and lists on GMPartsDirect.com for $81.33. Print that off and show it to them. That is probably below their cost on it by the time you add S&H, but you have room to work with them. I would think you should be able to get them down under $100.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 AM

wow thats crazy I could have that part overnighted for $40 less than goin to the dealership I wish I woulda seen this earlier we need it in the morning to put it all back together though this sucks but thanks for all the info!

Old 11-22-2008, 12:37 AM

Okay... got the pump replaced... Now i'm getting 43lbs of fuel pressure but still wont start where do I go from here???

Old 11-22-2008, 01:16 PM

okay poured fuel down the TB today and it fired up.... ran for aboiut five mins an shut it off an tried to restart and would just crank... Relieved the pressure once an it fired back up w/ out gas in the TB shut it back off an tried again an it would just crank an crank wont start any ideas or help!?!?! Please!

thanks

Old 11-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator

43PSI is too low. To see if you installed a bad fuel pump (what brand did you buy?), you need to remove the fuel filter and adapt your fuel pressure gauge to the line that runs to the pump. Check the pressure right there. You should see at least 60PSI.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump question???