1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

getting in and out of 4 wheel drive

Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 PM
akcalvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting in and out of 4 wheel drive

i have been having troubles getting into 4 wheel drive. i dont have a light indecator anymore so i dont know how to tell. any ideas on what may be causing it to not shift into 4 high?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: getting in and out of 4 wheel drive

That depends on a lot of things... Most important... What is it that you have here? Year, engine, transmission...? We know it is a 4wd, but is it lever actuated or push button? Have you tested it out when you think it is in 4wd to see if it is or not?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 AM

its a 94 s10 blazer 4.3 v6 its a lever not sure on transmition tho

Old 10-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I just re-read this and I guess your question is not clear... So I will ask some more questions.

When you pull on the lever to put it into 4wd, what happens?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:09 AM

nothing. at all. i pull the lever back into 4 high and nothing happens

Old 10-17-2008, 01:19 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

nothing meaning the lever feels like it's not attached to anything? or nothing meaning theres no noise? or nothing meaning the front wheels don't spin? or nothing meaning ALL LIFE ON EARTH COMPLETELY STOPS WHILE YOURE IN 4HI?

help us help you by fully explaining your problem as best you can

Old 10-17-2008, 06:24 AM
wdpk is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you should check the vacuum system to the trans. If that is all there, there is a connecting rod to the trans from the lever. I could just be that the arm has loosend from the trans. If you lift your truck up and take off the panel under the front transfer case , then you should be able to get a good look at the connecting area for the shifter rod..

Hope this helps ^^

Old 10-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Any speculation at this point is just that, speculation. We could tell you to jump on the front bumper three times and it may work... We need a little more information to work from as Wolf suggested.

Please answer these questions as best you can:
[ol][*]Does the shift lever feel like it goes into a detent (held position)?[*]If you get out on loose gravel with the shift lever in 4HI (or better 4LO) and punch it, do all of the tires spin or just the rear tires?[*]If you put it into 4wd, with the engine running, jack one front wheel off of the ground (other three still touching the ground), can you turn that wheel by hand?[/ol]I have more questions, but these will get us headed in the right direction.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:14 AM

ok thanks. but yeah it is atached to something it feels like it inages but the front wheel dont spin at all, some one told be it may be the hubs are stripped but no idea how that work. yeah so it does feel like its atached. it feels normal but the front wheels just wont engage

Old 10-19-2008, 11:15 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Probably just a vacuum supply issue or the vacuum actuator beneath the battery. Its a pretty common problem..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: getting in and out of 4 wheel drive