1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Has anyone ever seen a fuel pump harness melt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:44 AM
DC_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone ever seen a fuel pump harness melt?

This started out simple enough, not enough fuel pressure. Decided to replace the pump, filter, and check for leaks.

Larger image here.

Drop the tank, pull the unit, and low and behold, it runs, but I have no idea how. Any suggestions on what could have caused this? Honestly, it looks like fire damage, IN MY FUEL TANK, but I doubt it. Could heat from a failing fuel pump do this, and how on earth do I replace that lone connector without dropping another tank at the salvage yard?

[Edit]
It would appear reading the directions for the new pump was the key. The replacement unit I purchased from Carter actually includes the part to completely replace the harness at all points, and even mentions the possibility of the harness melting.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:46 AM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Has anyone ever seen a fuel pump harness melt?

Any fried squirrel teeth stuck in that mess? lol

Poor little squirrel. [sm=violin.gif]

Old 11-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the pump shorts out, it can cause enough heat to melt the connection. A fuel tank does not have enough oxygen in it to support free burning of the fuel.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ever wonder whythe fuel pump manufacturers always recomend replacing the wiring harness when you replace a fuel pump? Now you know.

I heard a unsubstantiated claim that if you run the fuel tank extremely low many timesbefore eachfill up, the fuel pump or fuel pump harnessmay overheat and "burn" out.Maybe there is soneting to that claim.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:53 AM
rx7_guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Bad motors (pumps) will have a higher amp draw...the wire can't not support this draw and gets very hot. Also...not having a load (fuel) can cause this problem as well.