1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Having an issue with dome and map lights after stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Starting Member
crazyjust is on a distinguished road
Default Having an issue with dome and map lights after stereo install

I have a 94 s-10 blazer and I installed an old pioneer deh-15 I had lying around. I used a wire harness and hooked everything up correctly, but the lights on the rear view that are on a timer and the dome light is not working. The stereo doesn't have a dimmer or illumination wire. I have checked the fuses and they are good. Has anyone had a similar issue and know how to fix this? Thanks

Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default a few things to check for

Well, lets see. Are you going from GMC-oem/oem-pionner connector for the back of the stereo? Did you cut the GMC wires and didn't use one of those nifty converters? If you did. I would start with disconnecting the gmc-oem and see if everything returns to normal. THen plug the wire harness in. the GMC-oem/oem-pionner without the stereo. If they dont' work then. Double check the wiring. Make sure you don't have any loop backs or exposed wires. Then if that checks out okay. Plug the stereo in. If the problem returns. You might have to disconnect all the wires and just start with the basic. Red +, Yellow + switched, and sometimes black for ground. Also you need to connect your antenna wire. Double check a wiring diagram. If it still does not work with just the basic. Maybe something is shorting out in the stereo or perhaps you loosened a while behind the stereo. Hopefully you do not have one of those hack jacks. The one were they hacked the factory gm harness off and went directly to the stereo. The last time I had one of those. I went to the radio store and purchased a factory one and replace it back to factory. Might sound stupid. But Nicer to work with when you use a gmc-oem/oem-pionner wiring.

Josh