1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Heater core replacement and lighting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Starting Member
84RustBucket is on a distinguished road
Default Heater core replacement and lighting issues

So I'm brand new to fixing cars and would really appreciate any advice I could get. I have an 84 s10 2.8 litere that has a few issues. The biggest is the headlights, taillights and dash lights are all dead but the backup and brake lights work fine although the hazards which were working may have joined the dead category. My heater core is toast as well, I'm working off a chitons manual and it doesn't look to hard but I was wondering if there's anything I should know. The coolant lines have already been disconnected. Thanks for all your help guys.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Beginning Member
MyWorkInProgress is on a distinguished road

I can't speak for your lighting issue but as far as the heater core its fairly simple. I removed all bolts along the bottom of the dash as well as the ones up top near at the defrosters, I think there were bolts somewhere near the glovebox I had to remove but not quite possitive its been many years, anyways you should be able to move the dash somewhat without removing it at this point. Pull the passenger side of the dash up and out about a foot then take a 2x4 or whatever you have lying around and prop the dash in that position. Now the heater core has a housing that has (4?) bolts or so around it remove them, pop off the cover, yank that old piece of crap outta there. There (should) be a ring around the firewall were your inlet/outlet go, be careful not to remove that, when you put the new core in and replace the housing cover make sure the gasket is on as well then you can remove your prop. Make sure your HVAC duct work is all connected like it should be before bolt the dash back in. You should now have heat and no coolant in your passengers footwell!

Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Beginning Member
MyWorkInProgress is on a distinguished road

Actually I lied about the lighting issue... The dash lights may very well be the dimmer switch above the headlight switch, it went out on my truck and I had no dash lights at all (cluster/HVAC controls/radio-besides time and station) the turn signals may be the 2 prong flasher that's about $9 or so at Autozone. Headlights may be the switch take a voltage meter and check it for power in the back the wire that you should check is white, when you turn the switch ON that white wire should have power.