1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Help!!! Proper Timing on 92 4.3 CPI

Old 12-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Beginning Member
Kjared2 is on a distinguished road
Default Help!!! Proper Timing on 92 4.3 CPI

I wanted to know if you guys or gals on here could tell me the proper procedure for setting the timing on my 92 s10 blazer 2x4 4.3 CPI

It doesn't seem to have that much get up and go I just sold my 91 TBI and that truck had more ***** than this one

this new 92 just was rebuilt not to long ago from a shop here in Sacramento where I live and the previous owner put some good money into this truck but the trans scattered and he gave up so I just replace the trans and is a very great truck it just lacks some power from a dead start

anyway the procedure I followed was I first checked the current timing and the timing mark on the HB was fluctuating from 12 degrees all the way down to six degrees when I increased the idle to say 3k rpm the line steadied but the line was all the way above the scale almost an inch

So what I did was unplugged the brown/black electronic advance wire under the dash

started it up and moved the distributor till the timing mark was at 3 degrees tightened everything up shut the engine off and then re connected the brown/black wire under the dash

checked the timing again and the timing mark moved up between 12-10 degrees fluctuating not steady

Is this correct?
Am I supposed to set the timing at 0 degrees and then connect the brown/black wire

I gained a little more power by what I did but I just believe that there should be way more power

this is a very healthy engine and unfortunately this truck has no Tachometer

Any help is appreciated this truck does not have a VEIC sticker under the hood and I googled the crap out of this topic

Thanks in advance

Old 12-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Beginning Member

Oh some thing else I forgot another main reason I started messing with the timing is because upon a cold start after sitting for many hours this CPI is a b word to start my old TBI would fire right up after sitting for a week but this one must be turned over like three times before it finally fires and I also smell gas coming from somewhere but there are no leaks on the ground so I'm guessing its leaking a little inside the plenum or somewhere internal or the timing is still off so much that it is dumping in way to much fuel ...but it doesn't smoke so I doubt that one

Thanks
Again

Old 12-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Beginning Member
Jpcalhoun is on a distinguished road

For a factory 1992 4.3l cpi, you want to set the base timing at 0° tdc. You can play with it a little if you have modifications such as a cam or other which requires an advance in timing. But the most u can advance it would be 3° btdc otherwise you will have valvetrain clattering when under load. But if it is a stock engine it is supposed to be set at 0° tdc with the wire under the dash unplugged (base timing). When you are checking the timing with the wire under the dash plugged in is useless info because the computer is advancing the timing and it skips around as i'm sure youve noticed. Anyhow set base timing at 0° tdc and see if it improves driveability

Old 12-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Starting Member
bowtie-72 is on a distinguished road

Jpcalhoun is correct about the timing. As far as the fuel goes, you my have a fuel regulator that is bad and letting too much fuel in. That could explain the hard start, poor power and I suspect poor fuel economy.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:45 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

^^what he said. Set the timing at 0* for now and leave it. Check the fuel pressure. It must above 60 psi when you turn to key to on(dont crank) and hold above 55ish for 10 minutes. if pressure falls check it at the fuel filter to make sure its not the pump,if it doesnt fall there its the reg. if it falls at the filter its the pump.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:58 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Is there a Transmision TV cable on a CP!? If yes, is it adjusted correctly? Just a thought.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Beginning Member
Default Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the help guys...I set the timing at zero and the tv cable is properly adjusted I think...setting the timing helped my cold starts it fires first turn but on a dead start from siring over night it still sounds rough then catches itself and runs fine ....I guess im going to check fuel pressure next I still have little to no get up and go makes me nervous merging onto the freeway

Old 12-29-2011, 10:04 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yea,it sounds like the fpr or pumps taking a crap on you. you can get the test kit for free at autozone,you just have to leave a security deposit (i think like $100 bucks) but you get every penny back when you return it. So,no money out of the pocket. loaner tools rock.