1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

High Idle at Startup

Old 10-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Brandon31386 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default High Idle at Startup

I have a 92 S10 blazer with the 4.3 non vortec engine. When i start it up, the idle is very high. And it shouldnt be that high. And ideas on what it could be??

Old 10-28-2007, 09:57 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: High Idle at Startup

If it's a 4.3L V6, it's a Vortec. How high is 'very high'? When does the idle speed drop down?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:28 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: rriddle3

If it's a 4.3L V6, it's a Vortec. How high is 'very high'? When does the idle speed drop down?
Its not only vortecs in 1992, he has the z code TBI 4.3, and yes the idle is high when its cold, like around 2k rpms. Mine does the same thing and I wasted money changing things and it doesnt help.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I could have sworn I posted here... Anyway, the 'vortec' head design came about in the mid-80's. It wasn't until the early 90's when it became a marketing buzz word.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. I guess we need a quantification to the term 'idles very high'. At what RPM does it idle at when cold. Does it drop down to a normal idle after it is warmed up? If it does, what is the idle RPM warmed up?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I could have sworn I posted here... Anyway, the 'vortec' head design came about in the mid-80's. It wasn't until the early 90's when it became a marketing buzz word.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. I guess we need a quantification to the term 'idles very high'. At what RPM does it idle at when cold. Does it drop down to a normal idle after it is warmed up? If it does, what is the idle RPM warmed up?
I think it was 87ish when the "vortec" design came about, but I also believe that you need a different intake to fit that vortec design or atleast that the way it was with a 90 degree SBC V8.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Again, do not confuse the change in the intake manifold bolt orientation with the start of the vortec cylinder head design. All 4.3L engines utilized vortec cylinder heads. Not that Wikipedia is a be-all and end-all source for accurate information, but they have it right in this case: GM Vortec Engine

Old 10-29-2007, 08:42 PM

Its not a Vortec...and i cannot tell what the RPM is because there is no tach. someone told me its either a sensor or a vacuum leak around the throttle body.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Administrator

You are not listening, but what do I know...[&o]

Anyway, the TBI motors do have a problem with the throttle body base gasket. You can troubleshoot vacuum leaks by spraying some carb cleaner around the base of the throttle body.

Does the idle ever return to normal?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:11 PM

sometimes it returns to normal on its own, sometimes it wont return to normal until i start driving.

and i always thought the vortec engine was the one with the intake manifold and fuel injected. im not too educated on my truck, ive been slacking

Old 10-30-2007, 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Brandon31386

sometimes it returns to normal on its own, sometimes it wont return to normal until i start driving.

and i always thought the vortec engine was the one with the intake manifold and fuel injected. im not too educated on my truck, ive been slacking
Let it warm up, it should drop on its own, atleast thats the way my 92 is.

Kyle, thats something I didnt know I thought the two went hand in hand.