1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

How to remove TBI fuel injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Beginning Member
jrakers2 is on a distinguished road

Well I can say this from experience, the answers you will get with these forums are people like me and you looking to fix their own cars to save money. The sad thing is 99% of the time nobody can tell us what the problem is by chatting over the problem and not physically looking at the problem with test equipment. A mechanic that don't have the equipment to check things out is in our shoes, he don't know. What I'm getting at is your car will start and run, you better get it to a real mechanic ( Amoco Service Centers the best ) and pay the price for them to fix it now or you will be spending double the price if you try by asking the forum people. Take this from experience and still working on my car after 1 1/2 years and 500.00 in parts that wasn't the problem. I'm retired and have all the time to play with it and learn the car but I'm poor to and don't have a lot of money at one time to pay out so I'm stuck doing what I'm doing. The computer is next for me on payday and the last thing to change LOL. OK the TPS on our cars is for gas mileage. If you were getting bad gas mileage like I was at first ( that started my whole problem super low gas mileage ) then yes it could be the TPS. It does not control your gas flow or idling. I changed out all the sensors and electrical but it felt like it was always a gas issue. Not getting proper gas until 45 - 50 mh then running great, a gas issue like you. Your computer? The computer will make changes to keep your motor running smoothly when a sensor or a control part is not working properly so if you keep driving it with your problem other things will start messing up and putting a load on the computer and messing it up. My check engine light hardly ever came on till recently. I had it at a mechanic at first and he was suppose to put it on a diagnostic test and said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. LOL OK here's my 2 cents. Change out your computer it is not giving you gas the at start but is once the rpms are higher the computer is in control. Think about it your getting gas or it wouldn't run at all after spraying starter fluid in it. Mine is opposite just won't start. Good Luck

Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

350? If you need injectors I have 2 good used ones for sale in PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds section

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 07-26-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris015
Yea^^

Man,sounds like the check it valve is leaking in the fuel pump. Turn your key on,count to 3,turn it off,then back on,count to 3 then start the truck. does it start better? if so its the pump.

Whens the last time you changed the filter?

If you do buy a pump. you must buy ac delco pumps for these trucks.
you never tried what i posted did you.

These vehicles have a weakness,which is the fuel pumps. Have the fuel system pressure checked for FREE. hit up autozone and ask for a fuel pressure tester in the loaners program. its free,but you have to leave a deposit incase you never return it. I dont remember if it comes with the fuel line adapter for these tbi units,but they have them too. You should have around 10-14 psi at key on on the 4.3 and 350's. If you dont,then the pumps weak and to replace it with ONLY and i cant stress that enough ONLY a ac delco pump. aftermarkets are a risky gamble in these blazers. If it tests good,and doesnt drop pressure (if it drops down,the check it valve in the pumps bad) then test the tps. Dont replace stuff until you have tested them with a meter. You can find voltage info around on the forum if you search. No point in spending money you dont have to "hope" for a result. Plus with the hit and miss in aftermarket stuff,if you replace 5 sensors,how do you know that all 5 work out of the box?

Last edited by chris015; 07-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Swimslikearock is on a distinguished road
Default after the filter

I did try the fuel pump trick, on then off then on and try to start. tried it about 6 times before the filter change and about 6 more after. the pump was running for several seconds after the filter change but same condition. needs starting fluid to start and not too much either. otherwise it will flood. i'll keep trying. ever the optimist. i was thinking about the TPS, i'll see if i can check out the fuel pressure gauge deal. thanks for the tip.

swims

Old 09-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Starting Member
neandrthal29 is on a distinguished road

I see this is an old post and nothing was figured out.So to help out a little in case others see this post most will say TPS, MAF, fuel pump and filter,etc. Something I didn't see here was to check the coolant temp sensor-this sensor actually helps regulate injector spray during hot and cold performance. If this sensor is not reading properly it will either cause an over spay-flooding- or no spay at all. I have a 94 z71 4x4 that had these same symptoms and after checking everything possible it was the only thing I hadn't checked. Truck runs great. Just something a lot of people miss.