1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1994 Jimmy 4.3l vin W wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
bblanchard is on a distinguished road
Default 1994 Jimmy 4.3l vin W wont start

Like I said, it wont start. It will crank over but it wont start. I have good fuel pressure and combustion. I have replaced the fuel injector spider assembly, fuel filter, fuel pump, Ignition coil, ICM, distributor, distributor cap and rotor, and plugs and wires. And a knock sensor and coolant temp sensor also. So I don't know what to check next? Help me please!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is the specific fuel pressure reading from the gauge? How long does it hold this pressure after the pump shuts off?

Why did you replace all of those parts? Did you test them and confirm that they were faulty?

Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 PM

It was at 60 psi when you turn the key on and when you cranked it, it went to around 55psi. and it stayed at 60 for at least a minute. and yes most of the parts were from fire damage. but the fuel pump did not work and neither did the distributor.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried pulling on the two wire harness that comes out of the lower intake manifold under the throttle body? It runs to the injector plug and these have been known to go bad from time to time causing the injector to not fire properly.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:23 PM

Yes I had to replace that too. I replaced a couple wires to sensors and such because they got burnt.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Fire damage...? Please elaborate. Are you certain you have repaired all of the damage?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 PM

When I drove It 2 years ago had to replace the fuel injector assembly. so while I was at school my brother said he would get some work done on it and there was a fuel leak in the plenum and when he tried to crank it up again I guess he had the top part of the plenum off and something sparked and caught all that fuel on fire. but it was pretty much contained in the plenum. And I didnt have the money back then to fix it so I parked it. But anyway, it did melt some wires but I replaced them. And i've looked it over hundreds off times to make sure I didnt miss anything.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:19 PM

Well, I feel pretty stupid. I checked the timing and got it to top dead center and it fired right up! I guess I put the distributor in wrong.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

Best it be that and you missed it instead of something real bad. Yet I know its aggravating to have made such a mistake.