1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Injectors wont prime Truck wont start

Old 02-15-2013, 01:14 AM
JimmyBlaze541 is on a distinguished road
Default Injectors wont prime Truck wont start

Hello
I am new to the forum but have used it as a great resource since i bought my blazer a year ago...
I have a S10 blazer 4.3L Vortec w/ CPI injection system. I ran out of gas pulling into a gas station. Pushed her in, got fuel, and then truck wouldnt start?... Had her in the shop for over a month and have checked fuel lines, replaced fuel pump relay, oil pressure switch, spider injector, and have tried two different fuel pumps. checked ECU with noid light and signal is good.Truck cranks great, rolls over for a few seconds with starting fluid, Have good spark, and have Power to fuel pump. Is there no hope? Tired of the endless guess and check... Im so stressed and very strapped on cash... I cant seem to locate the problem. I tried to test fuel pressure but both testers I rented from AUTOZONE($150 depost!!) were faulty. I know I need to get accurate fuel pressure reading but is there anything Im missing? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by JimmyBlaze541; 02-15-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Besides fuel related have you verified that the timing is correct and make sure that crankshaft position sensor is good. Either one of these will cause a no start condition.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:08 PM
JimmyBlaze541 is on a distinguished road

Timing is at 0 deg. TDC. i have not checked the crank sensor... This tells the injectors when to fire im guessing?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

1992 is not equipped with a crankshaft position sensor. If it runs momentarily and stalls after a shot of carb spray, the problem is lack of fuel. Remove the plenum and check the connector at the injector, (there's only one injector). There are two wires in the connector and it's known have issues with a poor connection. The connector is available at most auto parts stores and can be soldered on to the original harness with 60/40 lead/tin rosin core solder.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 AM
Starting Member
Codestomper is on a distinguished road

Have you found out what the problem is?

Just transplanted a 92 4.3L with 4L60 tranny / np205 transfer case into a 1985 Toyota 4Runner SR5. Had to use a gas tank out of an F150 because of size. cut out the Ford stuff and transplanted the chevy/toyota stuff to the tank. No there are no leaks.

Completed the wiring properly. Started it for the first time yesterday and it cranked right up and came to life. Had to keep giving it gas to keep it from dying. We stopped the engine and then 10 minutes later and nothing. It will crank but will not start.

I have checked to make sure the engine is getting spark and it is, but it would seem that the engine is not getting fuel now. I will be picking up a gauge and code reader tomorrow.

I know the fuel pump is working and I am getting fuel to the fuel block but it seems the injector is not working now.

I have checked all the fuses and nothing has blown.

Am I missing something simple?

I can spray starter fluid in the intake and it roars to life as long as I use the starter fluid.

Last edited by Codestomper; 04-15-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Starting Member
Codestomper is on a distinguished road

Wow, took out the fuel pump and noticed a blow out in the 3 inch tube that connects the fuel pump to the assemble. Replaced it and it fired right up.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Starting Member
NCSurvival is on a distinguished road

On these things, what will cause no fuel are, BAD fuel pump obviously, and also a BAD spark control sensor IN the distributor will cause no fuel. When whatever it is that has gone bad is replaced, you will get fuel again.

Last edited by NCSurvival; 04-21-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Corrected by another helpful user.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

A faulty ignition coil will cause a lack of spark, it has nothing to do with fuel control.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Starting Member
NCSurvival is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
A faulty ignition coil will cause a lack of spark, it has nothing to do with fuel control.
Well, my experience was that my injectors weren't priming until I replaced a faulty spark Control sensor. So I know that for a fact. I suppose you could always go outside, unplug the sensor to the distributor, turn the ignition on, and have someone verify that the injectors did not prime. Then come back and debate it. This happened to me on my 89 TBI. I accidentally pinched the spark control module's wire in a valve cover while doing a adjustment on the valve train. Shorted the unit out. I thought it was fuel until I found the pinched wire. My injectors DID NOT spray UNTIL I replaced the shorted unit.

Last edited by NCSurvival; 04-21-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:26 PM

On mid 1995 and older "W" & "Z" engines, the pick up coil in the distributor supplies the PCM with a pulse that is used for both ignition and fuel injector pulse. A faulty pick up coil will cause a lack of spark and the injectors will not squirt fuel. A faulty ignition coil will only cause a lack of spark.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Injectors wont prime Truck wont start