1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

instrument light replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 PM
red93 is on a distinguished road
Default instrument light replace

I need to replace some bulbs in the gauge cluster but cant figure out how to remove the cluster from the dash. I assume it must come foreward to change out the bulbs because I see no way to get in behind it. I have a 93 s10 chevy blazer 4.3 with manual 4x4 select. I thought it was a 10 min. job but something tells me otherwise now. Hope someone can help. This is a great site. Thanks

Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I just replaced the cluster bulbs on my '93 Sonoma pickup. Here's a rough recollection of what I did:

1. Remove the trim panel below the steering column. It extends to the left over to where the brake release lever is. You don't need to remove the brake release; you only need to pull the panel back far enough to get to screws behind it.

2. Remove the heater controls and panel with the headlight switch. The headlight switch panel is easy. The heater control panel is harder. There are two ways to do it: take all the vacuum and electrical connections off the control head or take the front panel off the control head. I've done it both ways and I prefer taking the front panel off the control head. There are two 1/4" screws that hold it on. Take those off and then take the ***** off the ends of the levers and the panel comes right off.

3. Remove the bezel that surrounds the cluster. There are about eight screws holding it in. Some of them are harder to find than others. With the headlight and heater control panels removed you should be able to put the transmission selector in 1st gear and then pull the bezel straight forward and remove it.

4. Remove the screws holding the gauge cluster into the dash. You don't need to remove all the screws that hold the clear plastic cover to the cluster. You can just take out the screws that go into the dash and remove the cluster and cover together. Pull the cluster straight out and it will disengage from the dash. Everything plugs into the back of the cluster.

5. You'll need some PC168 bulbs for the cluster. They're the ones that are made with special collars to go into a slotted hole in a printed circuit board. I think there are five of them.

Good luck. Hopefully my information was helpful.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 PM
red93 is on a distinguished road

thanks Toby. There must be a difference cause there is nothing around the column after the trim is removed. The heater control face wont come off, I took out the two screws at the bottom slid the control free then pulled the **** covers off but the face stays put. I have a Haynes but nothing in there looks like mine at all. Guess the local mechanic will get a shot at it next week. I never seen anything like this, I cant even see a screw or bolt. Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

When you take the screws off the heater controls you have to take the two screws on one side of it. I don't remember which side. The two screws on one side allow you to remove the front face from the heater controls. The two screws on the other side do something else. The only other thing I remember is that the screws you want to take out have a 1/4" head.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

Is it the digital cluster or the analog one? What isin't lighting up? If it's the digital guage then you are probably going to need to get a rebuilt board off ebay to get thinkgs like the gas guage and oil guage to light up and work, a bulb won't do anything.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:58 PM
JuimmyJoe is on a distinguished road

You wouldnt know what kind of board that is having same issue..